Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I'm about to join the awesome Zook family as I finalise everything and buy my first Suzuki Sierra. What I wanted to know was what would you all do to a stock standard zook with some pretty hefty 4WDing in mind?

My thought was a lift plus some 31" muddies or something along those lines but what is the general thought on this. Thanks all eagerly waiting replies :) Matthew.

·
Registered
10 Posts
first is gears, second is lockers, third is lift, and by then you'll want a roll-cage

·
Registered
193 Posts
The Sierra/Samurai is a competent 4WD vehicle in it's own right. Aside from making sure everything's working as it should (tires, battery, all fluids, engine, etc.) you might take it out and see how it does for you. Eventually, most owners want to install larger tires, which means a lift and lower gears. Extreme rock crawling means even lower gears. There's a wide range of ring & pinion ratios available, as well as about a half-dozen different transfer case gearsets. Tailor your choices to your 4WD needs. [Mine is a daily driver/freeway-flyer in a smog state (CA) and I drive desert trails and never want to walk home]. Hard-core rigs that are towed to the trails often use higher, less-stable lifts and much larger tires, breaking parts on occasion and needing help to get home. Detroit/Lock-Right lockers are popular and inexpensive, but take some getting-used-to on asphalt.
Up to about 31" tires can be accommodated by a 3" SPUA lift. Above that mostly it's SPOA. For most, this is an evolution, as we discover more of what we want to do and what's needed to get there. Good article at: Samurai Chronology

1 - 4 of 4 Posts