Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After three Suzuki motorcycles in my 40 years of riding and too any cars to remember, we've just bought our first Suzuki car, the NZ model Limited, in Prussian Blue. It's the only Prussian Blue Ltd. in the country and we stole it off the manager of our local Suzuki dealer. It's two months old and had done 1700 miles. It's had its first service and a wheel-alignment. We got the full new car treatment, with a valet and a full tank of gas but paid $3k under list.

I decided against the AWD version, known as the Sport here, as with all the traction and stability controls, for the very occasional time 4wd might be handy it was $5k dearer and 150lb heavier. I added a towbar as we do use a small trailer at rare times and the towbar also adds extra rear protection for those idiots who are asleep in heavy traffic and may decide to run into you.

The Limited is the top spec model and has everything you could want including auto wipers, interior mirror, lights, parking sensors, dual-zone climate control, cruise control, integrated Bluetooth, sunroof, heated leather electric seats with 10-way adjustable driver's seat with 3 memory positions, heated side mirrors, 235x45x18 alloy wheels with Yokohama tyres. The manager had added $500.00 worth of window tinting which really sets the dark blue off and looks great!

The CVT transmission takes a bit of getting used to as it is programmed to get into as high a ratio as possible as quickly as possible, but the engine has such good torque it's no problem and helps economy. I have used the paddle shifters for curiosity's sake but the trans is so well programmed I just leave it in drive. The motor is the old and well respected Vitara engine uprated for the Kizashi so should prove bullet-proof over time. It's certainly got some grunt when asked the question and has a rated top speed of 125mph+, not that I've tested that, of course...

We bought it to replace our much loved 1999 Nissan Pulsar SLX which we'd also bought new and would still have but for my breaking my back in a car accident last year which meant the now 12 year-old Pulsar was not suitable for my back as regards seating position. The Kizashi is perfect with the range of adjustment it has and I can now drive longer distnaces again! When looking at a new car, I wanted the latest in technology, as good as the Pulsar in gas mileage, and long term reliability. After spending several weeks checking out many new cars and SUV's, the Kizashi came out on top with the Hyundai i45 a very close second. It says a lot for how far cars have come, that a car with a 2.4lt engine, larger in size and heavier, can match the 1.6lt Pulsar for economy! My wife was hooked once she noted the heated seats and dual-zone climate air as she likes her side a degree or two warmer than I like mine! Everyone loves the colour!

I look forward to many years of great motoring and my first long trip will be to visit my aging Mom who lives 4,1/2 hrs drive away and I haven't been able to go and see her until now.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
congrats on the purchase.. its funny you mention the top speed of 125mph lol def a torquey car but it has zero gahonies... i guess im harsh on the kizashi considering my other car does 150mph+ in the quarter mile.. anything you get into after that is slow ...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
congrats on the purchase.. its funny you mention the top speed of 125mph lol def a torquey car but it has zero gahonies... i guess im harsh on the kizashi considering my other car does 150mph+ in the quarter mile.. anything you get into after that is slow ...
Well, it's no Evo 8 for sure, but when you've spent 12 years with a Nissan Pulsar SLX, all 116hp and an auto, pretty much anything is going to feel powerful... :D

I've had faster cars, particularly a 1996 Honda Legend with the 3.5lt V6 and 220hp which went very well in a straight line but cornering wasn't its strong suit... :rolleyes:

All depends on what you've been used to I guess. Of course, our wee Mazda Miata with 130hp goes quite well, too and we love it, but I wouldn't put it up against an Evo of any number, or a WRX either.

·
Registered
29 Posts
:D if your looking for any performance parts for the kizashi just let me know were working on basic bolt on parts tomorrow for the kizashi then eventually my buddy and i are going to turbo it.. lmk we start intake design tomorrow :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:D if your looking for any performance parts for the kizashi just let me know were working on basic bolt on parts tomorrow for the kizashi then eventually my buddy and i are going to turbo it.. lmk we start intake design tomorrow :D
LOL! At our age I'm more into sedate cruising and we use the Miata for fun. I'm sure many people would want to improve any car's performance, but we kept the Pulsar standard and the Miata is stock apart from Momo pedals, steering wheel, aftermarket 15" alloys and small spoilers.

It will be interesting to see how durable the CVT transmission is long term. They've come a very long way from the original DAF days for sure! Nissan use them behind their 3.5lt V6 now, too.

As an aside, I've always preferred the Evo to the WRX for some reason.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
All I can tell you to keep the trans healthy is let it fully shift into drive and reverse before hitting the gas. Some of them seem to shift slower and the resulting bang into gear when you hit the gas too fast has gotta hurt something lol
Also NO LINT RAGS TO WIPE THE DIP STICK!!! In fact if there are no leaks I'd never check it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All I can tell you to keep the trans healthy is let it fully shift into drive and reverse before hitting the gas. Some of them seem to shift slower and the resulting bang into gear when you hit the gas too fast has gotta hurt something lol
Also NO LINT RAGS TO WIPE THE DIP STICK!!! In fact if there are no leaks I'd never check it.
I did notice the clunk if you do that, so being mechanically sympathetic I wait for it to engage. Unlike an auto, there's no torque converter to soften the take-up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thats why i always do mt trans... suzuki really f'd up when the decided to make the awd only auto...
I agree, the AWD is called the Sport over here, which makes the absence of a manual rather strange. Our Miata is a manual and I wouldn't have an auto sports car, just seems wrong somehow. :D

Rumour has it that the Kizashi will be getting a V6 motor and with performance cars based on the cooking models so popular, I could imagine a V6 3.5lt manual AWD with 300hp+ being a shoe-in and selling like the proverbial! ;) Are you listening, Suzuki???

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have used the paddle shifters for curiosity's sake but the trans is so well programmed I just leave it in drive.!
Interesting that you say that, the way that the CVT is programmed is the thing I hate most about my Kizashi (I wish I'd bought the manual!)

It says a lot for how far cars have come, that a car with a 2.4lt engine, larger in size and heavier, can match the 1.6lt Pulsar for economy!
I was looking forward to better fuel consumption than my Mazda6 too, unfortunately I have been sadly dissapointed. Over the life of the Mazda6 I was averaging 8.6L/100km and with the Kizashi it is 10.1L/100km. However on a recent long trip down the freeway (flat terrain, no traffic, no aircon) at 100kph I was getting excellent figues of 6.1L/100km. Even at 110kph the consumption only dropped to 7.3-7.4L/100km, so I guess it really depends on the type of driving you do as to how the fuel consumption stacks up to your Pulsar.

I hope you enjoy your new Kizashi, their is certainly a lot to like about it and they do look stunning (IMHO)!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting that you say that, the way that the CVT is programmed is the thing I hate most about my Kizashi (I wish I'd bought the manual!)

I was looking forward to better fuel consumption than my Mazda6 too, unfortunately I have been sadly dissapointed. Over the life of the Mazda6 I was averaging 8.6L/100km and with the Kizashi it is 10.1L/100km. However on a recent long trip down the freeway (flat terrain, no traffic, no aircon) at 100kph I was getting excellent figues of 6.1L/100km. Even at 110kph the consumption only dropped to 7.3-7.4L/100km, so I guess it really depends on the type of driving you do as to how the fuel consumption stacks up to your Pulsar.

I hope you enjoy your new Kizashi, their is certainly a lot to like about it and they do look stunning (IMHO)!
I guess it is what you're looking for that counts in the end. I find with careful use of the throttle I can get the rate of acceleration I want. The engine has such good torque though that, while I can understand some not liking the programming, I'm getting used to it.

I'm averaging in the high nine's around town but on the freeway I got it down briefly to 6.6 before steadying on 6.8. Nowadays I'm more interested in economy than performance and generally drive accordingly. The Pulsar was very good but lacked torque so needed more throttle on the hills. I could get it down to 6.6 on a trip if I was careful, but I'm using the air-con on auto full time in the Kizashi.

We've got the only Prussian Blue Kizashi in NZ and you can't get any more in the same colour so it's unique and I had to laugh at my wife tiday when going into town. As we passed the other makes of cars I'd short-listed she said, "Nah, nah, our car's better than yours!" LOL!!! Everyone who sees it loves it and especially the colour! :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
The CVT transmission takes a bit of getting used to as it is programmed to get into as high a ratio as possible as quickly as possible, but the engine has such good torque it's no problem and helps economy. I have used the paddle shifters for curiosity's sake but the trans is so well programmed I just leave it in drive.
Since this was precisely my impression and experience yet seems to be the minority experience I felt compelled to write a note. I have recently also test driven a Kizashi 2011 stick and was very impressed, but would not be interested in an actual purchase of a stick given that I like to relax behind the wheel and not be burdened with shifting.

As to V6 potential option, I'm don't think at least the American market in and of itself would sustain this option. I believe with other cars in the mid-size range a relatively small percentage of V6 cars are actually sold where the option is available. However, the availability of such an option might yet help sell the 4-cylinder base by generating general interest and foot traffic. People can then make a reasoned decision to purchase the 4-cylinder over the V6 rather than simply avoiding the brand ab initio.

The 4-cylinder turbo seems to be a nice compromise. If it can be priced well, one could see sales sustaining the option in and of itself rather than it being primarily a trickle down effect stimulator.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Since this was precisely my impression and experience yet seems to be the minority experience I felt compelled to write a note. I have recently also test driven a Kizashi 2011 stick and was very impressed, but would not be interested in an actual purchase of a stick given that I like to relax behind the wheel and not be burdened with shifting.

As to V6 potential option, I'm don't think at least the American market in and of itself would sustain this option. I believe with other cars in the mid-size range a relatively small percentage of V6 cars are actually sold where the option is available. However, the availability of such an option might yet help sell the 4-cylinder base by generating general interest and foot traffic. People can then make a reasoned decision to purchase the 4-cylinder over the V6 rather than simply avoiding the brand ab initio.

The 4-cylinder turbo seems to be a nice compromise. If it can be priced well, one could see sales sustaining the option in and of itself rather than it being primarily a trickle down effect stimulator.
I think you're probably right here, the trend seems to be towards smaller engines using trick turbo technology to give the torque needed along with some amazing economy figures!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts