Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have (or will have soon) a 1989 (imported from Japan) Suzuki Jimny Sierra JA71. Other than the small, turbocharged fuel injected engine and associated equipment....can I safety assume that the chassis and body components are the same as the US imported Suzuki Samurai of the same vintage? In other words, can I use a shop manual for the American imported Samurai for the majority of my information, excluding the engine and associated components?

I also find many downloadable sources (pdf) for information. Is there any one source better than the others.

Any and all help all help is appreciated! Thanks in advance! memtb

·
Registered
8,430 Posts
Do not use the Chilton or Haynes rags, toilet paper would be a better source...

... Philip

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
body and chassis specs are subtly different to the US "based" models and will necessitate chasing part numbers using a VIN for more accurate searching.

And X2 on the Haynes and Chiltons, can't even use them for toilet paper, too glossy and hard, nothing sticks to them, but great works of fiction.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Many of the parts will also not interchange because of the RHD configuration of your model. Yes, there will be some parts you could use off an American version, but I wouldn't expect more than 50%.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Don't let it stop you! I had to use a RHD turn signal switch assembly because it was new for $40 vs $300+ for the LHD version. That also meant I had to use the RHD steering cover plastics, but again, super cheap at less than $20USD shipped. Look at Amazon and Ebay if available in your region.

·
Registered
8,430 Posts
Don't let it stop you! I had to use a RHD turn signal switch assembly because it was new for $40 vs $300+ for the LHD version. That also meant I had to use the RHD steering cover plastics, but again, super cheap at less than $20USD shipped. Look at Amazon and Ebay if available in your region.
That works well if you are ambidextrous.. and in your right mind...

.... Philip

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the “supportive” message! I guess that “necessity truly the Mother of invention”! memtb

·
Registered
4,478 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
I haven't found it to be an issue. Just glad I have everything back together and working again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts