Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Service and free MOT today; just a split wiper replaced, everything else good. They do a pretty comprehensive check with a video and all was well.
Good old Iggy. It just works.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Service and free MOT today; just a split wiper replaced, everything else good. They do a pretty comprehensive check with a video and all was well.
Good old Iggy. It just works.
Good to know, like a lot of people we have rethought our priorities in the current circumstances and rather than regularly changing cars we intend to run our Ignis until it no longer becomes economically viable. I have great confidence in its longevity which I hope to be well-founded.

·
Registered
262 Posts
If your Ignis reaches 3 years old after March 30th 2020 - you can have an automatic MOT holiday for 6 months. The government may curtail this option at some point. Similarly you can get get an MOT up to a month early and it will be valid for up to 13 months ie twelve months from the registration date. Personally, I think that sticking to an annual MOT is well worthwhile. It's a thorough safety check which takes around 40 minutes to complete and there are many outlets that do discounted MOT's - often in the range of £26 - 35. A similar check at main dealer rates would cost you more than double.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep it was also “free” as we bought it at that dealer.
I thought I may as well do both (it was due w service) for peace of mind.

·
Registered
812 Posts
We have it good where I live, we only need a RWC (Road Worthy Cert or MoT inspection) for passenger cars for change of ownership to protect the buyer, not a mechanic's income. It is really good for people that do all their own work on their car, as it avoids dishonest mechs that like to "over service" the ignorants. Police have a role in enforcing stuff here and DoT (your MoT) have authority to stop cars without police, unlike the neighbouring state. I really don't see many sh!tboxes on the road here compared to the neighbouring state I used to live in where RWC is annual.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Our Warrant Of Fitness (WOF) is annual, 6 monthly on any vehicle first registered anywhere in the world pre 2000, used to be 6 monthly across the board.
This is a comprehensive safety inspection, not a "mechanics income", must have one valid for at least 5 months before selling a vehicle.
Even so, its amazing how many illegally modified or unroadworthy vehicles are still on the road.
People don't even know how to check tread on their tyres. The number i see coming thru with belts showing is horrifying, most people rely on the annual WOF check as their "one and only" maintenance check on the car for the year, including oil levels.

its scary

·
Registered
812 Posts
People don't even know how to check tread on their tyres. The number i see coming thru with belts showing is horrifying, most people rely on the annual WOF check as their "one and only" maintenance check on the car for the year, including oil levels.

its scary
I wholeheartedly agree, hence "ignorant" people choose to not want to know how to look at things before that get dangerous.

When I mentioned "mechanics income", it was in relation to me not wanting to spend my income when I can do things myself, if that reads better!

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
That sounds better, I know what you mean, basic maint is not that hard and the biggest issue is cleaning your hands afterwards. I know someone that bought a new vehicle a month before the warranty ran out so he didnt gave to worry about even basic maintenance

·
Registered
436 Posts
Older cars here DON'T need an MoT!:

As of May 20, 2018, nearly all cars that were built more than 40 years ago are exempt from the annual MOT roadworthiness test, unless owners voluntarily elect to have their vehicle checked. Previously, only cars first registered before 1960 were exempt from needing an MOT.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Older cars here DON'T need an MoT!:

As of May 20, 2018, nearly all cars that were built more than 40 years ago are exempt from the annual MOT roadworthiness test, unless owners voluntarily elect to have their vehicle checked. Previously, only cars first registered before 1960 were exempt from needing an MOT.
Such cars also are free from road tax which could save you up to £580 / year!

·
Registered
812 Posts
Such cars also are free from road tax which could save you up to £580 / year!
Not so here where I am. If it were the case here, I have a 1974 FJ45 in the shed that truly qualifies, but the extra fuel it uses might negate the fuel tax saving?

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Not so here where I am. If it were the case here, I have a 1974 FJ45 in the shed that truly qualifies, but the extra fuel it uses might negate the fuel tax saving?
Dont feel bad, I get a whopping 11 mpg out of the ute.........!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts