Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
The valve seat below one intake valve (left valve on right at 6 o'clock) and one exhaust valve (right valve on left at 9 o'clock) show recession also so the cylinder head looks ready to be scrapped. Your father-in-law should have some words to the people who sold him such a junk engine.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just a thought. There has been extensive and repeated flooding along the eastern part of Australia over the last few years with thousands of cars submerged and written off. I wonder if the engine came from one of these cars judging from some of the brown discolouration.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm in Adelaide so if you can pass on to me details of the seller I might be able to drop in to him to show him your photo from a "low km, running engine" and discuss this description!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just had a look at the seller's website and this is their statement from the site: " Dismantling all Suzuki models we can save you hundreds on the cost of repairs with low km parts with up to 2 years warranty". .They also make a point of selling "quality second hand parts". Obviously they avoid stating that they can cause you to lose thousands of dollars by selling crap parts. I have sent them an email with a link to this discussion to see what they have to say for themselves.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Wraith73 - I have been in contact via email with Rob Russo at Exclusive Jap Parts and Imports who is asking for more details. On reading your initial forum entries it appears some clarification is needed. You say the engine lasted a couple of weeks so it was initially running and also there was some confusion with a mechanic going to replace the head gasket before the engine was installed. So there must have been a compression problem picked up then. He would have obviously noticed the poor state of the head if he had attempted this. The cylinder head in your photo would have given so little compression the engine would have been very hard to start at all. Also your invoice indicates the engine is from a 2013 GV and it is hard to imagine how such a relatively new cylinder head still attached to the engine finished in such a weathered state. Did the engine actually run and is the cylinder head in your photo the actual one ftom the engine bought from Exclusive Jap Parts and Imports?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm still a bit confused. The test drive "appeared all good" with that cylinder head! This would have been a mechanical miracle. I can only conclude the mechanic swapped the original cylinder head with one he had lying around in his yard before giving the car back to you. I think this is where the crooked dealings occured rather than with the original seller of the engine. It would be interesting to know if he has recently had a good condition Suzuki cylinder head up for sale. Have you still got the cylinder head fron the original engine and is this still usable and I suggest the mechanic be subject to some discrete investigation. Also was the head gasket still present to see if it had burned through between the two middle cylinders as had occurred in the cylinder head.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have sent an updated email to the seller. I am not sure why the mechanic was charging so much to fix the "new" cylinder head when your original head was still OK and this is still your property anyway & should have been returned to you. By keeping the head for himself (to fix up and sell possibly) does also seem to indicate some lack of integrity on behalf of the mechanic.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have come across a few unscrupulus car mechanics in the past who try to make a fast buck from trusting customers (but not so for some time as most have been caught out by now) so must avoid making hasty judgements. However I still find it hard to believe the cylinder head in your photo came off an engine that had been running, Maybe cylinder 1 & 4 head spaces were still in a functional state.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just one last comment. By magnifying your photo the edges of the channel between the chambers are very smooth with a nice even curve, suggesting they were man made, possibly to allow the engine to run more smoothly on cylinders 1 & 4. Cylinders 2 & 3 would simply be pushing and pulling intake and exhaust gases (but little being produced of each) backwards and forward from one cylinder to the other, reducing combustion compression and intake drag. This may have been a trick to make the engine run more smoothly on 2 cylinders (for a while at least}. Who did this would be hard to say but could have been a trick to show a buyer the engine runs OK.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts