Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Grand Vitara 2.4 Auto
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the head off my recently re-acquired 2010 GV (J24B) after it had head gasket “issues”. My Father-in-law paid a small fortune for a replacement engine and I’m thinking he may have gotten slightly ripped off as that one lasted all of a couple weeks. After taking the head off, I noticed a large “channel” filed between middle chambers. Is there any logical reason someone would do this?
Brown Automotive tire Wood Organism Rim

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That head gaskets been blown a long time to cause that erosion, doesn't look like file marks.
That engines had some serious issues, did he nit get a compression and leak down test before he bought it?
Have a look at the cratering in the left hand head pocket around the spark plug and between the valves too.
He bought the engine online interstate. He arranged for his mechanic to do the head gasket, etc before it went in, but he didn’t get it in writing. The mech he spoke to left but forgot to pass on the message. My FIL assumed it was all done, until it failed big time. Mechanics refused to rectify cos it wasn’t in writing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just a thought. There has been extensive and repeated flooding along the eastern part of Australia over the last few years with thousands of cars submerged and written off. I wonder if the engine came from one of these cars judging from some of the brown discolouration.
Apparently he bought the engine from a wrecker in South Australia as a “low km, running” engine and had it shipped to WA. I think he said he paid $4500. Not sure if he just couldn’t be bothered getting it sorted, or was under pressure from his missus to just get rid of it. Could probably try and research where it originated from based on engine number, but I’m a shift worker and haven’t got time for that! Watching salvage auctions for parts car, possibly a V6 swap.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Wraith73 - I have been in contact via email with Rob Russo at Exclusive Jap Parts and Imports who is asking for more details. On reading your initial forum entries it appears some clarification is needed. You say the engine lasted a couple of weeks so it was initially running and also there was some confusion with a mechanic going to replace the head gasket before the engine was installed. So there must have been a compression problem picked up then. He would have obviously noticed the poor state of the head if he had attempted this. The cylinder head in your photo would have given so little compression the engine would have been very hard to start at all. Also your invoice indicates the engine is from a 2013 GV and it is hard to imagine how such a relatively new cylinder head still attached to the engine finished in such a weathered state. Did the engine actually run and is the cylinder head in your photo the actual one ftom the engine bought from Exclusive Jap Parts and Imports?
Basically, as far as my FIL told me, when the engine arrived to his mechanic, he wanted them to change the head gasket, just in case (as a precaution), while the engine was out, along with other replaceable parts. They obviously didn’t. I’m not sure of the rest of the details, as after the engine stuffed up, it was towed back to the mechanics, and they dismantled the top of the engine. They were going to charge him another 4 grand or so to fix it, but he refused, as he had asked them to check it over and replace stuff (unfortunately verbally, only). The car was eventually returned to him, as is, and then towed back to my place in Perth. With most of the engine in the back of the car. The head was only loosely bolted to the block when we got it back. He did say that he was forever topping up the coolant and wasn’t sure why… until my missus noticed it pouring out the tail pipe. I’m not sure how well it ran, so I will have to check with him tomorrow. According to invoice, the mechanic claims they pressure tested cooling system and the test drive “appears all good”. Not sure how good the mechanic is, as they’re the only ones local to him. They only removed head from the original engine to check condition but didn’t on the replacement prior to swapping stuff over. They have his mobile number on the invoice if they want to discuss it further (I’m only armed with 2nd hand info)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I'm still a bit confused. The test drive "appeared all good" with that cylinder head! This would have been a mechanical miracle. I can only conclude the mechanic swapped the original cylinder head with one he had lying around in his yard before giving the car back to you. I think this is where the crooked dealings occured rather than with the original seller of the engine. It would be interesting to know if he has recently had a good condition Suzuki cylinder head up for sale. Have you still got the cylinder head fron the original engine and is this still usable and I suggest the mechanic be subject to some discrete investigation. Also was the head gasket still present to see if it had burned through between the two middle cylinders as had occurred in the cylinder head.
From what I was told, the original head was ok, but the mechanic didn’t return it, despite being asked to. There was no head gasket amongst the parts in the back. There is some damage to the current block that lines up with the damaged bit on the head. Obviously no where near as bad as the head.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I have sent an updated email to the seller. I am not sure why the mechanic was charging so much to fix the "new" cylinder head when your original head was still OK and this is still your property anyway & should have been returned to you. By keeping the head for himself (to fix up and sell possibly) does also seem to indicate some lack of integrity on behalf of the mechanic.
The original block had crapped itself, so the mechanic told my FIL he’d have to find a replacement engine. I didn’t see the original for myself. He thought he was getting the original head back after he told them to not go ahead and fix it (the second time), but I’m not sure if he followed up on it. After paying over 5k for engine, plus over 4K for the mechanic to fit it, I think he gave up on the whole thing!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts