Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi ive been looking at getting a samurai. ive been looking/watching prices for about a month now. I plan on using it for a daily driver in the winter and part time in the summer.
I found a 89, 100k, all stock, very good shape, little to no rust, needs tires. for 3k

good enough deal to buy or should I wait?
any problems unique to samurais that I should look for? such as rust areas?
are the graphics easily removable?
thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
In August of this year I bought a 1992 with 40,150 original miles (Car fax certified) My Zuke is in excellent condition and had the interior completely refinished, and I paid $3800. I would not have bought a Samurai with over 70,000 miles on it, It took me over 4 months of looking nation wide to find mine. Keep looking around, the right one will find you. :)

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks resedasamurai will take that into consideration.

anyone know about graphics removal??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Heat gun will peel the graphics right off and depending on if the samurai has been takin care of would depend on the 100k. Make sure you take it to 45mph on a test drive and check for vibrations. Start the vehicle and turn it off and start it 2 to 3 times make sure it starts up good. If the body looks like its been rallyed or not? Any rebuilds to the motor? Check brakes also.....

hope this help

ryan

ps. i have an 87 i got from a grandparent that passed away idk if it has 11k 111k 211k or 311k but it runs perfect because well it wasnt rallyed and the upkeep was good from the previous owner. Just ask alot a questions to the owner before purchasing (brakes, electrical, interior/exterior dings). Anything looks out of place or not stock ask about.

·
Registered
173 Posts
If it's in as nice a shape as you say $3000 isn't bad as i've seen some pretty beat up ones for $2500. The plus for you is that it's all stock so it probably wasn't abused.
I found my all stock and well maintained 88 zuke from a 78 year old guy in Arizona with 150k....Arizona rust free and in very good condition for $3600.
I have a four door 4x4 ram and it just sits..... this zuke is so much fun to drive. check it out real good, see if the front steering knuckles leak, any vibration or noise/whine in the driveline above 45mph (it won't be as quiet as a car)and test the 4x4 on a dirt road only (not pavement because damage could occur).... be sure it goes in and out of lo/high range and the front locking hubs work...... keep an eye on the temp gauge too because at that old the radiator could be getting clogged (it should run center or lower on the temp gauge..... this is a low torque engine that gets great gas mileage and will give stock jeeps a run for their money out in the trails. (I wouldn't trade mine for a Jeep i like it that much).
Hope this helps some.
Joe

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks all!
i was hoping they where not like pin stripping on cars. good to know the graphics are removable
hopefully I can make a deal this weekend!

·
Registered
173 Posts
thanks all!
i was hoping they where not like pin stripping on cars. good to know the graphics are removable
hopefully I can make a deal this weekend!
Take off just a tiny bit in an inconspicuous spot because with the age of the vehicle the sun fades the paint and the paint under the graphics will be not faded, and to compound it to match is almost impossible.

·
Registered
278 Posts
$3000 is an average enough price for a stock Zuke in good shape.
Make sure to post pics of the rig ... Boxcar ...

·
Registered
173 Posts
This is my 88 Zuk the day i brought it home.... Arizona born and raised without any rust anywhere..... great platform to start with. wish it had air conditioning though.
can't wait to see pics :D
Second pic with a 3" Old Man Emu under axle spring Lift and 29" tires...... that's enough to get me thru the Sedona Trails and no need to mess with steering or gearing..... may change my mind down the road and go with a spring over axle kit??
Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

well i got it. it can go with the flow of traffic decently with out putting the hammer down to much.

it didn't come with a top (ordered a bestop) but has a weber carb.
has 2 small rust spots, i plan on patching them this summer. has a slow oil leak. i don't really even want to put it on the lift to know what it is.

after about 7 hours with a heat and plastic scraper i got one side graphics off.
i attempted to remove the adhesive with turtle wax and klean strip and they soften the clear coat. also tried goo gone and 3m they don't work well enough.

anyone with better ideas on adhesive removal?

·
Registered
173 Posts
You did good...... nice clean, straight looking zuk and the weber carb is a plus as i'm thinking of doing that. (wish i could feel the difference between a regular carb and a weber for comparison)
Best of Luck with it.:D
Joe

1 - 17 of 17 Posts