Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Alto that is low mileage for her age, 60k and is in very good condition. No rust and quite a few new parts put on by me the last couple of years.

It's MOT time again an in the UK it is now a failure if the engine warning light is on, which it is. The code is P1510 and the internet says that is "P1510 SUZUKI - ECM Backup Power Supply Malfunction"

The local Suzuki garage wants £75 to scan the ECU on their kit and I've only got a few days left on my MOT and can't get it to them as their earliest slot is the end of the month. I normally sort this stuff a few weeks before the mot is due but I have been ill and have not been able to.

So, is this something any one else have had and fixed? If I can fix it then I can just book in for MOT and be happy. Otherwise a very good car will have to be scraped because a daft light. :(

P.s In the UK they just changed the rules, if the engine light is on then you fail! :mad:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ta BeEbEE, looked at this. I have not been able to find a wiring diagram for my car. In fact any kind of proper workshop manual. I've emailed Suzuki asking how I can buy one. Expecting a rip off price or a no.

But I have had an idea to buy me some time. I don't have a place to store the car and spending time fixing the issue as I have just sold my house and waiting for the next one complete. Staying with my parents.

My idea?
Connect the light to the oil light. The oil light mimics the behaviour required to pass the MOT. It's a hack that I would prefer not to do but Suzuki and the new MOT have forced my hand.

BTW this new rule on the MIL will mean a lot of good safe cars will fail for other 'minor' issues. One example I have seen is when the air con is below expected efficiency. Yup, your car could fail because the air con is a bit crap. And that is not a cheap fix.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts