Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Im new to all this, so.please excuse the no doubt silly question.

I have a 2000 Grand Vitara. I have been offered some fat boy wheels with 255 tyres.

Any ideas what fitment will be like?

Many thanks in advance.

Bazza.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
What's the full size specs of the tyre? eg. 255/50R16...255/60R16...etc. What is the offset and width of the rim?

Tono is running a significantly larger diameter tyre- which is what is causing problems in that instance. With the right offset rims- and a tyre diameter similar to the stock 235/60R16- I don't see why they wouldn't fit. Remember you only need 10mm extra clearance each side of the tyre. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no idea to be honest. Its a cheap set off ebay. No further details.

Ive found set that are 195 60 15s so collecting them puppies friday. Bit slimmer than my 225 but long as it passes mot that'll do me.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Ive found set that are 195 60 15s so collecting them puppies friday. Bit slimmer than my 225 but long as it passes mot that'll do me.
Whoa! Have you done any calculations on the size difference between 195/60R15 and the stock tyres?

I assume the stock size your GV would have come from the factory with would be 235/60R16 (or equivalent diameter with narrower tread) those 195/60R15 tyres are far too small in diameter for your GV. (See the attached file.) It's possible they may not have the required load rating too. I noticed you mention passing an MOT, depending on the rules where you live that size change could be illegal... it is where I live.

On another note, have you also checked the offset, PCD (bolt pattern) and centre hub diameter of the rims? Even if they're correct you may have issues with brake clearance with a 1" smaller diameter rim.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Suggestion

For accurate tyre information please try the tyre manufacture's website. They usually give you diameter sizes and other ratings.
Remember that the replacement tyres must equal to or better than the original specification on your tyre sticker that is usually attached to the "B" pillar.
This is for insurance claim purposes.
They can refuse a claim based on sub-standard parts if they are in the mood.
Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
13,691 Posts
You guys make Australia sounds like a draconian place to live - not every country has those regulations - in fact, where I am, as long as the tire is black & round, I can use it - whether or not I should is a different matter.

I'd estimate that over 50% of the vehicles here are rolling on tires that were imported used.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Actually, most of the laws are very good - they're intended to stop idiots (with only half an idea of what they're doing) from killing other motorists! ;)

The implementation of them is another matter. Plenty of people plead ignorance and do illegal stuff anyway. The odds of getting caught are very slim (depending on what state you live in.) Some states don't have any form of MOT / yearly inspection and the police don't seem to bother pulling over suss vehicles.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
I agree

Compliance is the job of the regulatory bodies. Standards are there to make sure cars are roadworthy.
There are basic limits as to what you do to your car and still be roadworthy without need for a certificate of compliance.
I've stated in another post that a well looked after car doesn't usually attract the attention of a passing police car. They have bigger fish to fry.
It doesn't mean you can't modify or run with non-standard gear. It only requires an approval from an engineer to say that your car is OK.
Insurance company's are the problem as they can legally reject your claim on the smallest technicality, but that's a worldwide issue.
I for one would not like to financially responsible for the aftermath of a accident.
We may not always agree with the law, it's like anything, it's a matter of give and take.
Cheers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts