Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a weird one here. My blinkers work just fine, but when I turn on the headlights they start blinking quickly, like when you have a bulb out. Any ideas?

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
9,983 Posts
You have lost a ground somewhere

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
It's possibly ground at one of the lights that's failed, remember tail lights can affect this too, unfortunately you have 4 corners to check, and it is always the last one. Could also be a ground elsewhere, fun times ahead.

Does it do it both sides or only when selecting one sides blinker?
Only with headlights? Or does it do it with sidelights on only?
Does the dash indicator light work ? Does it work when headlights are on?
Any stupid things with tail light brightness when it goes into fast flash?
What does it do if you step on the brakes? (You need someone yo tell you what the lights do at the rear for this test) do any go out? Get brighter?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's possibly ground at one of the lights that's failed, remember tail lights can affect this too, unfortunately you have 4 corners to check, and it is always the last one. Could also be a ground elsewhere, fun times ahead.

Does it do it both sides or only when selecting one sides blinker?
Only with headlights? Or does it do it with sidelights on only?
Does the dash indicator light work ? Does it work when headlights are on?
Any stupid things with tail light brightness when it goes into fast flash?
What does it do if you step on the brakes? (You need someone yo tell you what the lights do at the rear for this test) do any go out? Get brighter?
Got it. Thanks for the advice. The right blinker does not light on the dash, Ive tested the bulb and its good. When the headlights come on the left arrow dash light turns solid and the fast blink. Right side does not light at all in the dash and still fast flashes.

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
Check the dash idiot lights and the wiring to the flasher unit. I suspect you have a bad earth to the dash or a wiring issue between the combo switch and the dash. If the relay is a 3 wire one, terminals are batt + blinkers(lights) and dash indicator. ( B, L, P)
When headlights are on, dash backlight gets power, do these work?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check the dash idiot lights and the wiring to the flasher unit. I suspect you have a bad earth to the dash or a wiring issue between the combo switch and the dash. If the relay is a 3 wire one, terminals are batt + blinkers(lights) and dash indicator. ( B, L, P)
When headlights are on, dash backlight gets power, do these work?
Yes back lights are working, Just change them to LED

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
9,983 Posts
Yes back lights are working, Just change them to LED
That could be part of the issue, the standard flasher requires a substantial load to work, LED does not support this..

·
Registered
7,339 Posts

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
Snap, Philip posted at same time

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
Ok, stick standard lamps back in for fault finding, it needs to be as close as original to make sure we are not adding an issue

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, stick standard lamps back in for fault finding, it needs to be as close as original to make sure we are not adding an issue
Ok. I'm going to do some grounding tomorrow. Thanks guy's! I'lll keep ya posted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts