Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed today that the impellor on my interior fan/heater seems to have lost it's ooomfff. While you can hear the fan, I can't feel air being pushed out of vents with any noticeable force. All other functions of the heater seem to work fine - hot/cold, fan speed, venting.

How can I fix this?

I also have air-con in my car - although i'm unsure if it works as there's no drive-belt to the compressor (purchased this way). I'd like to get it going again, but if there's going to be substantial costs involved (like in prior A/C experiences), I might just leave it be until the next Aussie summer.

Any troubleshoot guides to getting the A/C working again?

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
I wish I had more AC experiance, but I don't so hopefully others can answer that part of you question.

But for the air flow, this is a common Zook problem. You may want to clean out the heater to get more air flow. Here are a couple of links that can take you through the steps...

Heater Cleaning

Heater Refresh

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
yeah, all kinds of crap gets in on top of the heater core radiator and the only way to get to it is to pull the whole console and dash apart and remove the blower, open it up and clean it off.

There is an easy way to get in there that doesn't involve a complete dissasembly of the front of your vehicle. You can cut a hole in the side of your blower above the heater core and stick a vacuum cleaner hose in there and suck it out. You need to know precisely where to drill though so you don't put a hole in the core.

Edit: OK, I just followed the links in biljohn's post. (didn't see that the picture headers were clickable) It explains the whole vacuum proceedure there.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great DIY reference - will definitely put it in the bookmarks and pull it out on the weekend.

Where is the air intake for the heater box too? - maybe if I make a screen for it larger debris will deflect away rather than accumulate inside the system.

Is there any way to open to dissassemble the box without drilling a hole in the side? .... actually, come to think of it - I guess i'm probably gonna have to clean it out again in a year or two so maybe the access point might be handy.

Does the heater box drive the A/C air as well? Just wondering if this is one system or two - i'm not overly familiar with A/C, it's components, and what it takes to get it working

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Great DIY reference - will definitely put it in the bookmarks and pull it out on the weekend.

Where is the air intake for the heater box too? - maybe if I make a screen for it larger debris will deflect away rather than accumulate inside the system.

Is there any way to open to dissassemble the box without drilling a hole in the side? .... actually, come to think of it - I guess i'm probably gonna have to clean it out again in a year or two so maybe the access point might be handy.

Does the heater box drive the A/C air as well? Just wondering if this is one system or two - i'm not overly familiar with A/C, it's components, and what it takes to get it working
Te air intake that is gathering the junk is right in front of the windshield, on the cowl. The first article shows how to clean it out in place, the second article shows how to take it apart to clean it (by taking it out of the vehicle).

The air for the AC goes through it as well.

·
Registered
616 Posts
heater..

Once again, Billjohn shows up with pictures and a link to a GREAT article!

Bonus: Anyone with the packing material for a Tandy 1000 must have good computer skills!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How on earth do you get into the plenum? It seems completely sealed off. I want to build a screen so larger junk can't get into the heater box in the first place.

Oh yeah - just FYI - i've printed out the instuctions in the link and had a good look under the dash... I think the fact I have air-con installed has made a DIY heater cleanout an unwise move - there's way more going on under my dash than in the instruction photos, and it seems pulling it out to fix is the only option, just no access... I think i'll leave this to a pro.

But i'd still like to make a screen if anyone can tell me how to get into the plenum.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had seen the gutter screens at Home Depot and Lowes and figured they would fit right on top... screwed over the opening. I just never got around to it. Maybe give it a quick spray to match the body or something.
Or, you know those black carbon filters for home air cleaners? Put one of those up inside.

thanks,
george

1 - 11 of 11 Posts