Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 98 GLX Wagon auto. I'm wanting to have have a keyless lock/unlock system in my little wagon. A full alarm system isn't necessary, locking & unlocking works for me.

From what I've read the GLX came factory equipped with a keyless system already (correct me if I'm wrong on this). Trying to identify the module behind the glove box, to the left, but doesn't appear to be installed.

So here I am, asking for assistance. If anyone has a pic or can take one of what the module looks like, that would be a huge help. Also, if there's another way to confirm if I do have/have not, I'm open to direction.

Mucho Mahalo in advance!

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Think I might have just found it behind the dash, drivers side, near the small fuse panel.

Here's a pic.... Can someone confirm if this is it or not please?
get the code numbers off it, that looks more like a BCM to me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Think I might have just found it behind the dash, drivers side, near the small fuse panel.

Here's a pic.... Can someone confirm if this is it or not please?
get the code numbers off it, that looks more like a BCM to me.
Top of pink label: 38880-64G3
Bottom of label (just above barcode): ZC000763 97F

Attachments

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
ok i was wrong, thats the TCM, transmission control module from a 1998 suzuki esteem, not the Body Control Module.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok i was wrong, thats the TCM, transmission control module from a 1998 suzuki esteem, not the Body Control Module.
Do you know which fob/'s are compatible with my TCM? Or can someone point me towards a direction where I can find out?

Last question.... Is this Suzuki factory TCM worth using? If not, any recommendations on aftermarket systems?

Thank you Thank you!

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Do you know which fob/'s are compatible with my TCM? Or can someone point me towards a direction where I can find out?

Last question.... Is this Suzuki factory TCM worth using? If not, any recommendations on aftermarket systems?

Thank you Thank you!
its a transmission control module, it runs the gearbox, has nothing at all to do with key fobs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just realized this.... Freaking funny though. I work with RF for a living, so in my field the term "transmission" is a wireless term. Wrong category....

Thanks for the correction 🤙

Thank you Thank you!
its a transmission control module, it runs the gearbox, has nothing at all to do with key fobs.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
I just realized this.... Freaking funny though. I work with RF for a living, so in my field the term "transmission" is a wireless term. Wrong category....

thats why its inside a faraday cage, to keep you RF geeks out hehehe

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

thats why its inside a faraday cage, to keep you RF geeks out hehehe
Come on now....a faraday cage would only catch my eye and before I knew it, I'd have it dismantled! Still laughing at myself for confusing the terms.

Cheers Everyone!

·
Super Moderator
12,185 Posts
I believe keyless entry was an option rather than standard equipment, and if yours doesn't have it, you might find it less expensive to go with an aftermarket full alarm system. Even if yours does have it, it might still be less expensive to go aftermarket.

For what it's worth, the parts catalogue for the Esteem does not list a keyless controller for models earlier than the 99 model year, so my guess is, it wasn't even an option on the early production.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe keyless entry was an option rather than standard equipment, and if yours doesn't have it, you might find it less expensive to go with an aftermarket full alarm system. Even if yours does have it, it might still be less expensive to go aftermarket.

For what it's worth, the parts catalogue for the Esteem does not list a keyless controller for models earlier than the 99 model year, so my guess is, it wasn't even an option on the early production.
I did some research last night and did find this in the parts catalog: Switch Assy, Key Less Transmitter, p/n 37180-64G01.

Here's the link, line item 60: https://catalogs.ssg.asia/serviceTotal.php?l=Y2F0YWxvZ0lkPT1zdXp1a2l8fGFydF9ucj09Mzg3MDA2MEcwMHx8bW9kPT0xM3x8bW9kTVE9PTMzNnx8bW9kRXE9PXx8c3Q9PTYwfHxzdHM9PXsiMTAiOiJQYXJ0IG51bWJlcjogMzg3MDA2MEcwMCIsIjYwIjoiPGI+QmFsZW5vIFwvIEVzdGVlbTxcL2I+IFwvIDE1MyAtIEVMRUNUUklDQUwgQ09OVFJPTCAoU1k0MTMsU1k0MTYsU1k0MTg6NURSOkxIRCkifXx8c3ViZ3JvdXBJZD09NzkyODh8fHBvc0ZpbHRlcj09&lang=en

Interesting though is there's nothing listed for the receiver. I guess the transmitter/fob is just a key ring decoration in this case.

·
Super Moderator
12,185 Posts
Here's my question for you, what makes you think that that page is applicable to your particular vehicle?

Go back to that site and try to put in your VIN number, if it accepts the VIN, it should take you to the correct page for your vehicle, see if you find the keyless controller listed there.

I made some assumptions - you're posting in the Esteem/Baleno forum, asking questions about a 98 GLX, and you appear to be in US, so I assumed a US market vehicle - the parts catalogs for US market Esteems do not show keyless entry on any vehicles prior to the 99 model year, hence my comment.

If you like, you can PM the VIN and I can look it up.

For what it's worth, the page you were looking at is for an E01 vehicle, which is "general export", US market will be E03 or E33 (California emissions), it's also for an SY413-7, which is the Baleno with the 1.3 engine, I'm guessing your car is actually a 1.6 Esteem (SY416), and if you're curious, you'll find the "receiver" or keyless controller at #58.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Jake my 2000 GLX wagon came with powered locks but no remote. I went to a shop that sold remotes, hitches, windshields and they installed a remote for me and that was several years ago. The fee was a hundred dollars Cdn. I suspect it was something like this; ebay item # 333217644412

Car Remote Central Kit Door Lock Keyless Entry System Auto Alarm Systems
Brand New
$9.80
From China
Buy It Now
Free Shipping

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's my question for you, what makes you think that that page is applicable to your particular vehicle?

Go back to that site and try to put in your VIN number, if it accepts the VIN, it should take you to the correct page for your vehicle, see if you find the keyless controller listed there.

I made some assumptions - you're posting in the Esteem/Baleno forum, asking questions about a 98 GLX, and you appear to be in US, so I assumed a US market vehicle - the parts catalogs for US market Esteems do not show keyless entry on any vehicles prior to the 99 model year, hence my comment.

If you like, you can PM the VIN and I can look it up.

For what it's worth, the page you were looking at is for an E01 vehicle, which is "general export", US market will be E03 or E33 (California emissions), it's also for an SY413-7, which is the Baleno with the 1.3 engine, I'm guessing your car is actually a 1.6 Esteem (SY416), and if you're curious, you'll find the "receiver" or keyless controller at #58.
I started from the home page and made , what I assumed, the correct selections for my vehicle. I admit that I'm not uber knowledgeable on every detail, but I figured what I do know would be enough.

I probably made errors while selecting various options along the way. Either way, I've confirmed I don't have a factory keyless entry system and already purchased one on Amazon.

Appreciate your response though...

·
Super Moderator
12,185 Posts
The problem with your approach is that you need to how to navigate through the different models that are offered, and those can vary with the market - entering the VIN or chassis number is the best approach, but not all of the sites will recognize all VINs.

I tried to follow your steps, again making the assumption that you're in the US, and did not arrive at the same page - what market choice did you make ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The problem with your approach is that you need to how to navigate through the different models that are offered, and those can vary with the market - entering the VIN or chassis number is the best approach, but not all of the sites will recognize all VINs.

I tried to follow your steps, again making the assumption that you're in the US, and did not arrive at the same page - what market choice did you make ?
As much as I don't like admitting this, but I have to be honest and say that really can't remember. I'm sure I would have choose US, but since I'm in Hawaii, it's possible that I choose Asia, which does apply to some manufacturers I've found out after more than 20 years of living here.

Not much help, I know, but those 2 choices are where I would have began.

·
Super Moderator
12,185 Posts
A perfect example of why the VIN should be used where possible - even with vehicles imported by the dealer, you can end up with odd results - I'm in Guyana, South America, and my GV, which was imported by the authorised dealer, is an African market model.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts