Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did complete rebuild on the stock 1.3 motor and ran fine vibration free before i put on the trail tough yj wrangler conversion. Therefore I do not believe its the motor. But after installing tt kit in 2nd gear from 20-25mph everything shakes very badly any ideals what it could be? I still have the stock tires and rims. And it only shakes in 2nd over the 5mph duration I am clueless about whats causing this any similar experiences?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
did you do spring over or spring under? Did you change the configuration from what it was before the swap? What shocks are you using? How heavy is your rig? Do you have a lot of heavy components or is it close to stock? (winch, bumper, sidebars, roll cage, fat girlfriend... etc) Did you get the front kit and the rear kit or did you get the complete kit?

·
Registered
293 Posts
More questions:

Did your rear pinion angle change after doing the spring swap? The flange angle should be the same for the T/C flange and the differential.

Did your rear driveshaft come apart and then be put back together again, possibly out of phase?

Either of the two can cause vibrations and put extra stress on the u-joints and bearings.

Are your familiar with "death wobble"? Most people would associate the term "shaking" or "shuttering" to it, but it sometimes occurs when front suspension changes are made. This is normally caused by incorrect caster, worn front end parts, tires out of balance, or a bad steering stabilizer.

But all these things are normally only a problem at speeds 30mph and up and the gear would be irrelevant.

Does it only happen in second gear? Is it the same whether accelerating fast or slow? How many leafs on the rear springs? Axle wrap maybe?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
your questions

ok I bought the complete kit, I am runnin 4 leafs up front 5 in rear stock rig no front bumper stock rear bumper stock tires/rims. I have checked all the u-joints and none are in a bind at anypoint during the rotation. Its not a so called death wobble steering wheel does not shutter just extreme vibration throughout the vehicle only in 2nd gear over that 5 mph increment from 20-25mph no matter if easing through it or accelerating really hard. I am sprung over axle the instruction said to level factory spring perch and allign the new ones and level with the stock orginal ones. It specifically tells you not to change the angles.
hope this helps. Also i am using the shocks that came with the kit

·
Registered
616 Posts
Still sounds a driveshaft problem. Read this link and then give Sean at Trailtough a call. He would be the expert.
While the above link is useful information (considering where it came from ;) ), it sounds more like you have assembled the driveshaft(s) out of phase. I believe this because you said that you were careful to place the new spring perches exactly on the opposite side of the axle from the OEM perches. This eliminates any driveshaft binding caused by changing the driveshaft geometry - a common mistake SPOA installers make and one YOU did not make! :cool:.

Check out this link for more info on properly assembling a Samurai (or any two-piece) driveshaft:

Ack's FAQ: Video Tutorial: Assembling a Two-piece Driveshaft

With an Ego as big as Ethiopia :eek:, I remain,

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats what I thought as well but both of the flanges are lined up exactly the same as well as i did line up the dots on the extended yoke and the orginal driveshaft. Another thing i ve been thinking is I had the ring flipped on the flywheel i noticed it was drilled i guess for balancing purposes from the factory would flipping that around cause it to be unbalanced which could cause my vibration

·
Registered
616 Posts
vibrations...

If you actually removed the gear ring from the flywheel and flipped it to use the less-worn tooth surfaces, that might have thrown off the flywheel balance.

A test for that situation would be to disengage the transmission using the clutch then slowly rev the engine feeling for increased vibrations.

I hope that this helps!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts