Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When our engine is under heavy load we get this strange vibration. It appears to be exhaust related but it's not blowing or anything like that. Has anyone any experience of this please?

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
With such little information, how would you like us to respond??

Check the exhaust for excessive back pressure...>2psi @ 2000rpm is N/S

... Philip

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
first test:
Remove B1S1 O2,
start engine,
is shake/rattle still evident?

second test:
use adapter and connect a low pressure gauge to exhaust O2,
start engine,
read psi @ idle,
read psi @2000rpm.

If the back pressure is in spec, more investigation in order

... Philip

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry Philip. I am a 75 year old layman. Remove B1S1 O2. Means nothing to me. Thanks for your help tho. It only happens when you put you foot down and it's uphill or similar.
Bri

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
Sorry Philip. I am a 75 year old layman. Remove B1S1 O2. Means nothing to me. Thanks for your help tho. It only happens when you put you foot down and it's uphill or similar.
Bri
I am your junior by 3yrs, congrats.. slow down and wait for me! :rolleyes:

B1S1 O2 = the O2 sensor(oxygen sensor) closest to the engine, Bank1, sensor1..

Your symptoms are either a collapsed CAT converter(makes it into a dog) :eek:, or a low flow fuel pump..causing a misfire.

.... Philip

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Bri,

do you have an Alto with the lower emission engine? if you do then it's a design fault with the exhaust. If this noise is most noticeable in wet and sometimes even cold weather then that's the problem, Suzuki know about it and will do nothing to solve it. I wrote to them on behalf of some owners who were experiencing the same symptoms but Suzuki aren't interested and don't accept it's a problem, very disappointing attitude.

What appears to be happening is the exhaust contracts, especially if water hits it. It completely changes the exhaust note and under load you hear it more. I, and others, have had our cars into various dealers and on my last visit I took a mechanic out and he heard it. He checked the exhaust and there are no visible signs of any problems but he thought it was the baffles Some owners had new back boxes fitted, it made no difference, I had the flexible joint which connects the middle section from the manifold repalced and no difference either.

He said that even if the whole system was replaced the problem would likely still be there as the exhaust design would be the same. I've learned to accept it for what it is but I would have thought Suzuki would have at least brought out a replacement exhaust that would have solved the problem.

Have a look on the Forum for Alto's being nosiy in wet weather, you'll see quite a lot about it on there. In some models there also seems to also be a noticeable power loss when this happens. I had that myself but it turned out to be an unrelated issue which was rectified.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow Frankie. This is exactly what is happening. I took it to one place and he thought baffles. (it is the low emmision one) And it's worse in wet!! I went out today, bloody nuisance. On the drive home, perfect! Although annoying, at least this puts our mind to rest. I will have a look at your link to other comments. Thanks very much.
Bri

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bri,

we sent two or three letters to Suzuki about this over a year ago and got no satisfaction or remedy. We made phone calls to Suzuki HQ but you cannot speak to the technical department, only dealers are allowed to do that. You are told to contact your dealer which is a pointless exercise as you have already done that many times to no avail.

The service manager at my dealers actually took my car home on a wet night to try to diagnose the problem and when I collected it the following day he told me they're all like that!

You'll have seen on "Noise when driving on wet roads" part of the forum that we went to a lot of time and effort to get this matter sorted but, apart from getting our cars looked at when we complained and polite replies from Suzuki, we didn't get anywhere.

I honestly don't hold out much hope that you will get your car rectified. Wayne (Bigh) ended up selling his as he has a driving school and when the noise happened his pupils thought there was something wrong with the car or they were doing something wrong.

I've had mine for three years and, to be honest, I have now accepted that's the way the car is. Yes, it's noisy under load in the wet but once you know what's causing it then I feel I can live with it as you know there's not actually anything wrong with the car.

It's not ideal and I was tempted to try an after market exhaust system to see if that would solve the problem but I didn't feel I could justify the expense as there was nothing actually wrong with the system itself, it's just a design fault.

Please post the response you get from Suzuki on the forum, it will be interesting to see what they say. Good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again. Very disappointing. This afternoon the car seemed perfect. But went out tonight and it was doing it again and it's not wet or cold. I still feel it's the same thing tho. As it was not that bad tonight. It' s been much worse.
Bri

1 - 11 of 11 Posts