Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am faced with a bit of a dilemma regarding the exhaust of my 2002 XL-7. The system is in a usable condition, except for the "hangers" and perhaps the front end flange of the catalytic convertor. I'm not sure about the catalytic convertor itself, it is difficult to see because of the heat shield. The mounting points on the chassis are in good condition.

I am about to choose between 2 options:
  1. find an inventive mechanic and have him weld new hangers and flange onto the exhaust system, or fabricate something else to give me some comfort that I won't lose my exhaust on a bumpy track;
  2. buy a new exhaust system.
Option 2 has my preference, but unfortunately no after market systems are available for the XL-7 in The Netherlands or neighbouring countries. Buying an OEM-exhaust system from the stealer would set me back EUR 1.400 (over USD 1.600), and that doesn't even include the 2-into-1 part to which the catalytic convertor connects. In spite of the shipment cost it would be much cheaper to order a Bosal system from RockAuto, but probably this is not approved for Europe.

For the SWB Grand Vitara several after market systems are available where I live, and I noticed that the same catalytic convertor is listed for the 4 cylinder 1.6 and 2.0 as well as for the 6 cylinder 2.5 litre engines. That makes me wonder whether these units could be used for the XL-7, although the 2.7 litre is not listed. Is this possible, or is it likely to give power- or (convertor) heat issues?

I assume the 2-into-one item is the same for both V6 engines, judging by the part numbers shown on beforementioned parts site.

Thanks for your views!

·
Super Moderator
18,375 Posts
My vote: Option #1:

"Find an inventive mechanic and have him weld new hangers and flange onto the exhaust system, or fabricate something else to give me some comfort that I won't lose my exhaust on a bumpy track;"

Standard "Exhaust System Shop" repairs. ;)

At least have it inspected, discuss the repairs w/them and obtain an estimated cost.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'll second what Max said. Here in the USA and exhaust shop can build a new system from scratch, as long as the cats are available/usable.
Regarding the new cats, if it's listed for the 2.5, then it'll work for 2.7. I've looked at both my XL7 and the Bazuki (2.5) and the exhausts already identical with the exception of the length of the pipe.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both.

At least have it inspected, discuss the repairs w/them and obtain an estimated cost.
Sounds like a good idea. On the other hand, if after market parts for the SWB can be used for the XL-7 that would be interesting too. I have worked for a car parts import company for a while, which means I wouldn’t have to pay the full consumer price.

@Max; would you agree with Skills4lou that a catalytic convertor for the 2.5 litre will work for the 2.7 litre? On RockAuto I noticed that the same EPA/Federal compliant convertor fits both, but different CARB compliant convertors are specified for the 2.5 and the 2.7.

Here in the USA and exhaust shop can build a new system from scratch
We too have shops that build new exhaust systems for any car, but from what I have seen this will not be cheaper than an OEM system from the stealer.

... exhausts already identical with the exception of the length of the pipe.
For the 2.5 muffler and tail pipe are one single part, for the 2.7 muffler and tail pipe are 2 separate parts, so they are not interchangeable.

·
Super Moderator
18,375 Posts
I can only relate to the USA spec components available to me;

XL and GV...

Which call for the same numbered main Cat w/ accompanying piping section.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which call for the same numbered main Cat w/ accompanying piping section.
This applies only to the "EPA/Federal compliant" cat, which is not legal for use in California. Peculiarly, for the (SWB) Grand Vitara RockAuto does not list any cat whatsoever which is legal for use in California. I do not know how USA emission standards compare with those in Europe, but my guess is that we are closer to the rules that apply in California. Altogether, I think there is too much risk in buying a cat which is listed for the 2.5 but not for the 2.7.

What surprised me is that these engines have 3 (three!) cats. One can only hope the manifold cats do not fail.

·
Super Moderator
18,375 Posts
And there are addtional pucker factors as well. :(

Like fitting only select models within the group...

"WALKER 53310 Ultra Converter; EPA / Federal Compliant
Fits4WD; To Chassis # 24153266
orRWD; To Chassis # 24151391"

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"Pucker factor", I wasn't familiar with that expression - learnt something again. It's true, in Europe finding an affordable exhaust for an XL-7 brings major stress :)

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
if you fit the cat and exhaust emissions test passes, wheres the issue?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I order from RockAuto there may not be an issue, at least from an informal point of view. I haven’t quite rejected that option.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is an attractive option. Just to be sure, tomorrow morning I will visit a workshop, let’s see what they say.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts