Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ready for headers and exhaust on my 88 1.3L samurai and i had a few questions. Im going with a headman header since its the best deal i found and in my price range and for the actual exhaust I have no idea what to run? I know alot of people run a flowmaster 40 series what i really need to know is what size diameter exhaust should i run and the inlet and outlet specs? offset ,center
etc...another question is do i run no cat? hollow cat? resonator? and about the o2 sensor do i plug the hole or get a new o2 sensor just to make sure its running ok. any and all reply's are greatly appreciated. thanks:)
oh i forgot to specifly some details smog is not an issue and i will only drive it off road thanks.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
do the headman headders come with an O2 sensor bung in them? If they do, I'd put the o2 sensor in the hole. That way you can either use it or not. If you have the stock carb you need the o2 sensor. If you have an aftermarket carb, you can use an mixture gauge on the O2 sensor to help you dial it in.

Unless you are running forced induction (supercharger or turbocharger) you don't need anything over 2 inches. The less backpressure, the further you move the power curve up the RPM range. More backpressure=lower rpm power, Less backpressure=higher rpm power. Geckocycles was using a 1.5 inch exhaust with his 4 GSXR setup and getting great low end torque out of it. I had a CV 4 throttlebody intake with headers and a 2 inch exhaust that worked really good. Low end torque wasn't great but I had good high rpm power for running flat out. I thought I'd raise my high end a little more by going with a 2.5 inch exhuast and it "LOST" power. If you use a cat, it should be a high flow cat. If you don't need a cat for smog, cut it out or hollow it out. I've used all kinds of mufflers. My favorite was the cherry bomb, but it wasn't my neighbors favorite. I'm running my cheap dynomax turbo muffler now.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
now that i think about it i dont think the hedman headers have the port for the o2 sensor so how do i install an o2. i i have a stock carb? do i have my welder weld a port below the header and just extend the o2 sensor wire? I will be running a webber carb as soon as i can afford to buy one...

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
you want the bung for the o2 sensor to be high enough to heat up so that it will operate. Optimally you would want it at the junction where all the pipes come together to get an accurate reading, but the suzuki O2 sensor doesn't have a heating element and relys on the exhaust to heat it. On the Thorely headders (the only ones I know of with the O2 bung on it) the sensor plug is welded at the junction of the 1 and 4 cylinders just about the height of the bottom of your wheel well in the engine bay.

·
Registered
122 Posts
More backpressure=lower rpm power, Less backpressure=higher rpm power. Geckocycles was using a 1.5 inch exhaust with his 4 GSXR setup and getting great low end torque out of it.
I'm glad to read this as I need a new muffler. I was going to go with a 2" pipe, but I need all the low end I can get, so I think i'll stick with the 1.5" that's there now. All I'll really need now is a new muffler.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
The Hedman header I have in the garage has an O2 bunge on it. The header is a 'long tube' style header and it puts the bung (at the tube convergence) all the way back under the drivers feet. If you need the sensor, then you will have to run an extension to it. If not, use a spark plug... the one that fits the zook motor is a perfect fit!
;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts