Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is there a trick to replacing the gasket from the back of the exhaust manifold to the cat pipe? I have the replacement gasket, but it is really tight. Do I just smush it on? The new gasket seems to be a eighth of an inch or so to small in diameter.

1986 Samurai, 1.3 Engine.

I tried to "smush" it on, no luck. I duck taped it to the back of a 1 1/2 socket and tried to ease it on with a hammer. Just mashes it. The inside diameter of the new gasket is just about the exact same diameter of the outlet pipe flange. The gasket is a braided wire mesh with gray slick gasket material permeated all through it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Update:

I went ahead and just took of the exhaust manifold. The outlet pipe is the exact same diameter as the inside of the gasket. I either have an early Samurai that is not normal, or the Bosal gaskets aren't made to specification. Now I have to figure out a gasket for this thing. I have tried to ream out the gasket to make it fit, but it doesn't look promising. Poop.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is there a trick to replacing the gasket from the back of the exhaust manifold to the cat pipe? I have the replacement gasket, but it is really tight. Do I just smush it on? The new gasket seems to be a eighth of an inch or so to small in diameter.

1986 Samurai, 1.3 Engine.

I tried to "smush" it on, no luck. I duck taped it to the back of a 1 1/2 socket and tried to ease it on with a hammer. Just mashes it. The inside diameter of the new gasket is just about the exact same diameter of the outlet pipe flange. The gasket is a braided wire mesh with gray slick gasket material permeated all through it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Update:

I went ahead and just took of the exhaust manifold. The outlet pipe is the exact same diameter as the inside of the gasket. I either have an early Samurai that is not normal, or the Bosal gaskets aren't made to specification. Now I have to figure out a gasket for this thing. I have tried to ream out the gasket to make it fit, but it doesn't look promising. Poop.
hello

do you have the actual diameter of your gasket? same with the outer pipe that you want to ream out to the gasket to make it fit, so that I can see what is the problem. and if you don't mind mam, just want to ask the model and year of your car?

looking forward to your immediate response.

kind regards,

Darren
=======================================

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exhaust Gasket

So I took my manifold and the new gasket to my local muffler shop. The old guy took my pipe, went to a drawer with about sixty of these gaskets in it and started looking for one to fit. Five minutes later I'm out the door. I just traded my new gasket for his gasket. It all fits perfectly and my 1986 Samurai is on the road, quiet as a mouse.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts