Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to site, great info here. I own a stock 88 sammy with 75,000 miles, had it since '97. Engine idles great but stalls when driven. On a short trip one night the engine stalled and died. When I raised the hood the exhaust manifold at the oxygen sensor was glowing red. When the stalling problems first started occurring I sprayed the carburetor with cleaner, changed fuel filter, blew out fuel line from pump to filter. No change. Several years ago had a muffler shop replace muffler/tail pipe because it was rusted out. The catalytic converter maybe stopped up or rusted out. Any ideals where to start first. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
It sounds like the thermal cutoff switch is killing your engine. Hopefully it's shutting down before it gets catastrophically hot. usually that kind of heat in the exhaust manifold is from a clogged catalytic converter, but exhaust temperatures can also be elevated from a Too lean mixture or a busted EGR valve. Could be a combination of any of these things too. If your exhaust manifold is getting that hot I wouldn't be surprised if your head is warped from the heat. This can cause a leaking head gasket if the face is warped or leaking valves if the valves or seats have become distorted. Hopefully you've found the problem before serious engine dammage has occured.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Obviously Baratacus answered your question with much more knowledge than I have, but I had the same problem years ago on a Chevy I had. The manifold was also glowing red, wouldn't stay running. Mine was very sudden, though--it didn't take awhile to show up, it just did. It turned out that I needed a new catalytic converter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts