Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 1987 Suzuki Samurai with a stock 1.3L that I just rebuilt. It's bored .020 over and has a rebuilt carburetor on it as well as a full exhaust system--Pacesetter header, high flow catalytic converter and a turbo muffler. It's been running well after I tweaked some timing issues, but there is one thing that still concerns me and keeps me from wanting to drive it too much.

I really think it's a leak at the header, strictly based on where the sound is coming from, but it doesn't sound like I've heard header leaks described before. You usually hear header leaks described as a tick that varies with engine RPM. I do hear the tick sound as described, but as the engine RPM approaches 3,000, it gets much louder and doesn't sound like a tick anymore. I would describe it as a rattle almost. What's so weird about it is it's in a very specific range. Below the range or above the range I either don't hear it or it just sounds like a "ticking" sound. The range is 2,900-3,100 RPM and it doesn't matter whether the car is moving going through this range or just revving it while it's parked.

It's just got me worried that it might be something serious.

Just looking for some ideas as to what it is. Exhaust leak or something else?

Any input appreciated!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nevermind...I figured it out earlier. I kept focusing on the area where the header joins the block (assuming a gasket leak or something) but turns out it was coming from an unwelded slipjoint in the header.

Yes, that's right, the pipe comes off the #1 exhaust port and they put a SLIP JOINT going into the downpipe to the flange. Seriously, a SLIP joint is supposed to not leak when that much pressure gets forced through?

All in all, not too happy with Pacesetter. Learn from me and get a Thorley instead.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts