Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have leak from flex pipe on 2006 forenza. I would like to fix it myself. What do i need apart from the 53664 part. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
hi. what makes you think your flex pipe is leaking? first off i have no idea what part 53664 is or where your looking at the part. but heres some basics. your going to need a jack and a set of jack stands. you can probably look online to see where they should be placed. your going to need a ratchet and sockets. im almost positive the flex pipe isnt sold as a separate piece so youll need the whole intermediate pipe. #3 in the link
2006 SUZUKI FORENZA Parts - Suzuki Car Parts Catalog Online Store
youll also probably need parts #2 and #4 just in case your gaskets arent any good. now comes the bad news. exhaust bolts are known to seize. Usually they will use a welding torch to heat the bolts and loosen them or burn them off. at the very least i would say you need a good penetrating fluid and something to cut the bolts off if needed, a grinder of some sort. you might be better off having a mechanic do the job for you. or buy the parts yourself and have a mechanic do it for you if its cheaper. if not your also probably going to need some bolts. be careful not to damage the catalytic converter or its flange. let us know how it goes or if you have any other questions

·
Super Moderator
17,672 Posts
This portion?

$69 bucks brand new. ;) Then you won't have to chase cracks and rust in an attempt to patch together the old section, with little chance that it will last.

RockAuto Mobile Catalog

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
hi Max. yeah thats the one. except that one only has the flange on one end. he'll need to either weld a flange on that pipe or have to cut the flange from the other. he mentioned wanting to do the job himself. not sure he has access to a welder?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi 7-even and Max,

Sorry for not providing much information regarding the issue. Yes the part you located is right. When I clog the exhaust with something, I can hear the hiss coming from the flex pipe. I think I have two ways to go.

1) I can cut off the flex pipe part, then put a new flex pipe there and by using muffler cement and clamps, I can fix the issue for now.

2) The other way is to buy the part(s) (Max provided the picture and you suggested two gaskets to go with it) and get it installed in somewhere.

I think the 2nd option is the way to go. However, I was wondering instead of the gaskets provided in the link, can I use some kind of high temperature gasket maker?

I am going to try to use a ratchet myself and see if I can change the part. If not I will take it to a mechanic with parts. The only issue right now is the gaskets which are I assume dealer specific. Am I right?

Thank you for all your help and I will give updates on the issue.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found that the copper high temp RTV gasket paste used by people to replace gaskets in exhaust system. Do you think this will hold off or muffler cement?

·
Super Moderator
17,672 Posts
Purchase the appropriate OE style gaskets to maintain the correct contact and seal.

You may be able to install a new pipe section yourself, but the long fitted fasteners are often a chore to remove and require torch heating.

Any exhaust "patch" job is a waste of time IMO, ESPECIALLY on a moving "flex" joint. Get the correct parts and HAVE them installed, is my suggestion.

Edit:

It also appears that the rear of the pipe portion of the flex section is a clamped "slip-in" joint (and also difficult extremely to uncouple without the correct tools), so only a single gasket is needed at the front flange.

The gasket choices (2 or 3 bolt holes) and a "ring" being shown here...

2006 SUZUKI FORENZA Exhaust Pipe Flange Gasket

Leave it to the Pro's unless you really want to get heavily involved with this. :(

·
Super Moderator
17,672 Posts
So I will only need #31589 from the figure you provided right
ONLY if you un-bolt the flange between the two resonators, which should not have to, unless it makes taking the slip joint apart easier.

You'll need to disconnect the two pipes at the slip joint ("U" clamped with a 35364) and then the replace the front pipe exhaust gasket (in the link, not shown in the pic).

Here... 2006 SUZUKI FORENZA Exhaust Pipe Flange Gasket

The two or THREE bolt gasket (whichever style you have now) is what you need in addition to the a new "U" clamp, in other words.

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you have a local Advance Auto in your area, they sell flex pipes in the exhaust section for like 20$. They come in 2", 2.25" and 2.5" I think

1 - 10 of 10 Posts