Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there fellow Forum ppls, im new to the forums, i found this site not too long ago while looking for help about my carry.. which i still haven't solved the problem is with my Suzuki Carry, its a 1993 da21v , powered by the ( supposedly mighty ) F10A engine, that has the 5 speed trans bolted to the rear.
now.. iv set the intake valve clearance to .13 and the exhaust to .18 while cold, iv fully rebuilt the ignition system, ie new plugs, condenser, points, leads, the timing is set to the respectable 8Deg BTDC, and iv ripped apart and over hauled the Carby, reset it and she runs well ( with the odd slight miss ), yet she still loves tossing the fuel down and has no power... im at a dead end with ideas... so any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
553 Posts
No power

Greetings! Have you changed the air cleaner, is your parking brake dragging, how fast are you going, up hill, heavy traffic? Is tail pipe sooty and black, belch black smoke like a diesel? Are ALL plugs firing ALL the time? what is the Kilometer per liter usage, my F6a is normally 11 K per L in heavy traffic (Cebu)
If this is a pick up it must have a load over the rear wheels to use all gears, or the wheels will slip ( no traction) Are the tires good, do they have tread? I have seen Carry's in Cebu with no bed, just frame, and they can hardly get up a gas station curb, Is it a four wheel drive, and it is running on four wheels all the time? All these affect fuel mileage

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi there,no i have not changed the aaitr cleaner, though when removed no improvement has been seen/felt, the parking break is not dragging, tail pipe is a little sooty as we dont run lead in our fuel in New Zealand, does not smoke or beltch, no matter how hard she is pushed, all the plugs are firing all the time, its a van, the tires are brand new, rwd.. thanks

·
Registered
553 Posts
Excessive fuel consumption

Greetings! Fuel is either going in the engine, and not getting burned (too rich) OR its leaking out of the fuel system before it gets to the motor.
If the smoke is good, it has to be leaking.
A high pressure leak is not going to show up at idle speeds.
Pull the engine hatch, put it on a lift, put clean card board on the floor under it, and run it at 2000RPM. HAVE A FIRE EXTINGUISHER HANDY!
This is a three man procedure, one in drivers seat, one above engine observing fuel lines, and rails with bright light, and one on ground to check under it. don't get under it until you are sure where it is dripping from. If you don't find a leak with this, get an priest to excise it.
Good luck and keep in touch.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well... it is going into the carb..coz there is no leaks...and.. i have leaned it out as much as i can before the engine starts missing and farting, and still isnt great.. i think i might send it into a reliable mech and get the cylinders dry and wet tested on compression, and the valves reset

·
Registered
553 Posts
low milage

Greetings! If you think the piston rings are that worn, drain the oil, and put a match to it. If its worn rings, it should burn nicely! Otherwise, pull the dip stick, and feel if the oil is thinned out. WHAT altitude do you live at?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well its either worn rings or the valves ar not seating properly.. which means.. id need to pull the head off and do a nice valve grind and replace the valves and valve guides, and the oil is new.. so its natually thin atm, and altitude??? i dont actually know.. its just plain old New Zealand

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok.. i sorted the problem, it was the carby , the float was crap, anyways.. i over hauled a new one, dropped it in, and now.. it runs perfect.. but is BLOODY hard to start when cold ( with and with out choke ) , however.. it starts first time every time when its warmed up.. can anyone give some advice?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ARG! ok.. it was good for half a day.. then it coughed and spluttered and lost half the power and fuel ecconomy again.., ripped off the carby.. nothing is wrong with it.. so im now gunna replace my ignition coil... if i can find one..

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hard starting

Greetings! In the back of my poor brain, I remember about chocks, carbs, and cold weather. Go To Chilton's on chock settings in cold weather. There is a thing on the right side of the carb that is connected to the exhaust manifold that warms up and leans the mixture out. I got the manual, but it does not have a name for the thing I am talking about, also the Suzuki carb is slightly different from a Ford quadrojet on a 400CI motor that was the last carb car I owned ( 1977)Good luck, and keep us posted please! :D

·
Registered
553 Posts
Excessive fuel consumption

Greetings! :D I found this tidbit on Japanese Mini Trucks:

Ford is what I know about, they use manifold hot air, not water to warm choke. Hope this helps.

just thought i might mention something we ran across on the Suzuki trucks. we found that the choke was not turning off soon enough and the engine at idle was very rich and soon fowled the spark plugs so bad with black soot that the truck either wouldn't start or was very difficult to start.
to solve the problem we cleaned the coolant inlet and outlet nipples on the choke assy.
we removed the two coolant hoses and used a drill bit to clean out the nipples and flushed them with water and reinstalled the hoses and it fixed the problem.
hope this helps.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
its manual choke... so no EGR valves , and no lean out valves, at the end of the day, i think the engine just needs an over haul, so stuff it, im gunna get rid of it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts