Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends this is my first post on this lovely forum. I have been doing lots of reading on this forum for weeks now it is a veritable gold and I love it almost as much as I love my GV. However that being said I have been having some issues that are limiting the enjoyment of the noble grand vitara that currently resides in my parking space.

I am the second owner of this vehicle, it was in quite excellent condition when i purchased it 9 months ago from an obscure car lot that got me for a couple thousand extra but i didnt care as long as i got my baby that I had sought for without truly knowing what I was coming into by virtue.

Admittedly I was not a mechanically inclined person then and to call myself one now would be even more laughable, that being said, i am not one to bury my head neath the sand and i have been searching for the question to my answers in every possible way except the most probable spot, namely here :)

So here goes I will stop flapping my gums and so to speak get to the nuts and bolts of the matter, im just providing some background information that may give you an idea what is going on.

Parts recently replaced (both front low ctrl arms, struts and rear shock absorbers, brand new hankook tires)
Issue: poor handling (more specifically the vehicle turns left relatively normally but cannot turn right on corners unless speed is completely reduced), not doing so would be disastrous me thinks. There is a clunk much like a described sway bar knocking sound that manifests when there is a wobbly road or if one of the front tires usually the left hits more of a dip than a bump. Changing the struts did improve performance over cracks and bumps in the road but didn't solve the swaying issue.

The vehicle did once have to be steered very sharply to the right (side it turns poorly towards) in order to avoid a careless driver, speed traveling was somewhere near 20th at the time. I feel this event had something or mostly to do with my problem now.

I have taken this vehicle to 2 mechanics, the first positively identified excessive play in the ctrl arms, they were replaced with modest improvement but still not acceptable. The second time the vehicle was given an all wheel alignment, and despite the poor condition I suspect the stressed components to be in it has managed to stay driving straight for a couple weeks. Straight is fine but I need to turn as well :/

I suspect it to be either sway bar related or body mounts.

Plx send ideas and suggestions they are all appreciated in my struggle that I must win.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I've never had steering or alignment problems with our '06, so I'm not educated about the GV's front end. So I have only general comments.

It sounds to me like something is damaged, and moves out of place only when under higher stress from higher speeds in right turns. So a passive inspection is failing to find the problem. Sufficiently serious misalignment to cause such a problem would also manifest in a hard pull to one side, rapidly wearing tires and poor mileage.

It's possible the brand new tires could cause this. I suggest you try rotating them and see if the problem goes away or follows one tire. It may be that crooked construction is only showing up with enough weight shift onto or off a bad tire.

I hate to go here, but a defective stability control system could be braking one wheel during corners.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never had steering or alignment problems with our '06, so I'm not educated about the GV's front end. So I have only general comments.

It sounds to me like something is damaged, and moves out of place only when under higher stress from higher speeds in right turns. So a passive inspection is failing to find the problem. Sufficiently serious misalignment to cause such a problem would also manifest in a hard pull to one side, rapidly wearing tires and poor mileage.

It's possible the brand new tires could cause this. I suggest you try rotating them and see if the problem goes away or follows one tire. It may be that crooked construction is only showing up with enough weight shift onto or off a bad tire.

I hate to go here, but a defective stability control system could be braking one wheel during corners.
Thanks for the reply Gee Vee I rly appreciate all the help I can get from the suzuki community. Hmm I don't think it's the stability control system because the saggy sway feeling is present even when driving straight but i had no idea the onboard computer could actually be an issue and after doing a little research I was quite surprised to hear of ppl with other makes of cars having individual calipers that would act up because of such a thing. Def weird stuff fer sure.

Thnx friends :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts