Suzuki Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I did some reading last night a lot of reading and dellisoh is right but so are you bex, simply put headers and straight pipe for race cars only, because you are right in needing the cat and muffler, but it also depends on how it is made as well, straight through mufflers yeild the best HP increase but they need to ne made right with no obstructions through the muffler like the average glass pack is made, and yes you do need back pressure but only 2 to 6 psi to produce the scavaging effect, man it helps to read sometimes, I just now need to know if cat and muffler placement make a difference

·
Banned
1,950 Posts
side-=pipes are bad ad red-lights (city driving)
if the ecu goes to limphome, then carbon monoxide goes way high. (this old car loves to do that at drop of hat or bad EGR)
and Nascar's dont set at red lights for 10-15min.

the engine (N/A) is an air pump , at low speed, there is no major restrictions in the exhaust.
the VE (Volumetric efficiencies (how well it pumps said air) is very good for the low end now, maybe 90% or better.
if you modify the exh or intake , or a cam, you run the risk of losing low end VE and power .
Did you know a long induction pipe (you removed yours sadly) makes better low end HP, that is a fact. Get on a dyno and discover that.

why do that, the car needs that low end for the street. ( your car is not a circle track car running at 8000 rpm all day)
The VE on this motor is good up to the max torque RPM now, why try to mess that up.
study how to make good low end power. you will be amazed at what the truth is, and will never be told on the sellers pages.... ever....
just questions.....

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Why leave it stock, stock exhaust for any vehicle sucks and is one of the shittyest things made on a vehicle, I'm building it right just with higher flowing parts, it will have a cat and a muffler so I don't see where the engine would have a problem, besides stock is no fun :p

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Also is it possible to swap the throttle body with a Carb, IV been wondering this for awhile just for shits and giggles

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I think what your saying is total BS, saying you can't change the exhaust because of the ecu Is BS

·
Super Moderator
24,776 Posts
Actually, no, not BS. The ECU is programmed to expect certain values, and regulates the running of the car (spark/fuel) according to those values. If those values are not met, the ECU cannot respond properly, and goes into limphome, which are factory baseline tables. You can put anything you want behind the cat, or even nothing, if that's what you want. To think about going backwards from EFI to carb is, of course, a matter of opinion, although presumably carbs are no longer favored for a reason. In the end, of course, this is your car, your time, your money. But the base that you are working on is a small 95 cubic inch, 80hp engine. There is no real way around that.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I think what your saying is total BS, saying you can't change the exhaust because of the ecu Is BS
You can do whatever the hell you want. He is just saying the results will most likely not be what you expect.

Also when you ask a question, you get an answer and call out the answer as bullshit, then why ask the question if you "know" the answer?

Like fix-kick said. Do what you think is right and if you can prove it is right (dyno before and after), then the world will be a better place as owners that have the same vehicle as you will know that there is cheap horsepower out there for it. You will be a pioneer and would make everyone in this thread rethink what they know.

So stop asking questions and arguing with those who give the answers simply because they aren't what you wanted to hear.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Yes that OS true but every ecu has hidden power and is able to do what you want it to do, all you need is a programmer, you don't need some special or aftermarker ecu, must be nice to have the money to do that though, and are you saying you can get more HP from the Carb mid mention above with the Harley cv carb

·
Super Moderator
24,776 Posts
Carb is old school. You will not get the efficiency of the EFI. However, you are also not dictated by the 'restrictions' of the ECU. The ECU's are not easily programmable, even for a computer geek. We have some pretty knowledgeable computer guys on this forum who have advised that especially the earlier ECU's are not easy to program (search the forum). Frankly, it seems that from all of the threads you have started, this car is really not the car you want - this article may be interesting to you, regarding exhausts:
Will I Gain More Horsepower With An Exhaust System? | Exhaust Videos
The easiest and fastest way to gain power in your car is to reduce the weight. But again, you must understand that you are starting with a 80hp engine. If you gain 5% hp, that's only 4 hp. So now it's an 84hp engine. Still puny, still slow, still not what you really want.
I think you need a different car.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
You've got me all wrong, I love my truck and I'm just trying to build it like I want, I'm not trying to make a screaming eagle out of it I just want a little more out of it

·
Super Moderator
24,776 Posts
If its just a 'little' more, then make sure that your tune up/timing is perfect, your o2 sensor is new, your ECT is accurate, EGR is clean, idle is where it should be, no vacuum leaks, your engine vacuum is steady, etc.,. etc. Reduce as much weight as you can. If you are looking for faster take off and acceleration, don't run big tires on your car. Frankly, and again, a little more makes very little difference in a 80hp engine. Instead, be proud of what this little truck is - surprisingly well engineered, really great offroad, highly dependable, super nice looking, etc.
Sometimes, it's kinda nice just to be content......

·
Banned
1,950 Posts
here is what many people do

http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content/topic,68647.0.html

speed is not free, how much you got to spend ?
there is no free HP just hiding in the 1.6L (with 16v head)
but you can do this , there are vast numbers of modified kicks and or franken kick here.

its limited by the DISPLACEMENT
forced induction solves that and in EFFECT changes the displacement and CR.
so that leaves you with one choice
moving great low end power, to the high end.
if that is your goal then have at it.

your low end VE is already good(great with 16v) moving it to 5000 rpm , will probably
suck.
just a guess. but dont know your UTILITY.

sidedraft-16v

21 - 32 of 32 Posts