Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to run an exaughst for performance purposes, I know its probably straight headers but exaughst fumes are killer

·
Banned
1,950 Posts
1.6 liters
the VE is good at the low end rpms, on this motor (you not going to help it there)
so where do need this power, at 5000 rpm?
and if yes, then you can move that low end power to the upper end with radical CAM and custom tuned exhaust.

tell us , exactly what you are trying do , RPM wise.?
at what speeds, , racing, off road. or what?

that 1.6L (naturally aspirated) is very limited by its very displacement, and is fully developed for good power with the 1.6L 16v head.
so where do you want that power and are you willing to loose low end power.

i know every header maker and exh maker all promise, fast,easy , pure power. but most lie.
Ask them for dyno proof or track times.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,346 Posts
The fumes are already getting to you.

exaughst :confused:........ exhaust ;)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only thing not stock is the cold air intake, I was running it with just the manifold, down pipe and cat and the exhaust was killing me, then again there is holes from the carpet on the floor, you know the little disks that the carpet snaps to, and I know you can't run straight block, I liked it the way I was running it but I had to add more pipe to keep the fumes were killing me, and I lost the hoarse power I gained, I would run a straight header but idk if the fumes will still get to me even if I fix the holes

·
Registered
551 Posts
Big bore and less restriction does not mean better flow.

Think of it as syphoning. In smaller bore exhausts you tend to see the higher pressure in the exhaust trying to run to the low pressure atmosphere which in effect has a syphoning effect on the upstream. Exhaust scavenging like fix-kick said.

Scavenging is very important.

At the same time an exhaust with a too small diameter will have the engine coughing on its own smoke. The key is balance between a restrictive flow and a free flow. Especially on a stock engine. This engine is already quite powerful and complex for what it is.

Another example, but less related. Turbo chargers. They run by air/exhaust rushing by them going from a high pressure zone to a low pressure zone.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sure the people who desighned the headers and exhaust for these vehicles have desighned it to do that, I'm just not going to run a cat, oh and by the way for all of y'all that don't know in the 80's a company Took a mustang and did exhaust testing on it on the stock engine now, and got the most horse power from straight headers, and my step dad has built countless drag cars and that's what he said but I figured i would ask on here because Yall know this vehicle better than he does

·
Super Moderator
24,972 Posts
Sorry, really got to step in here - an '80's Mustang is an entirely different animal than your Tracker - first of all it had a carburetor, had no sensors, computer, etc. There was no EGR system, no o2 sensor, no nothing, just mechanics. You cannot compare these two cars. The ECU is basically programmed with certain circuitry and, simply put, is constantly adjusting its output to stay within the factory perimeters.
Your first problem is that your exhaust should not stink as you say it does. You have another issue that you need to sort out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
psycho1991 - Manufacturers run the exhaust to the back of the vehicle for a reason. The fumes will damage your brain. If you dump after the cat or under the body it will come through holes (if present) in the floor or through back windows depending on where the low pressure area are. The best exit point is at a back corner of the vehicle. Best shortcut choice is just ahead of a rear wheel - hopefully even with the outside edge of the tire.

·
Super Moderator
24,972 Posts
80 hp engine. You are not going to get any type of added power that is going to make much of a difference. Trying to get 10% additional is a huge thing - and that only brings you to 88hp. Still puny.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The tri-wye design of the stock system is hard to beat. If it makes you feel better, the Doug Thorley tri-wye design header is quite good on these four cylinder motors. The Calmini 4 pipes into a header may be slightly better for high rpm but I see lots of complaints about trying to install it (do some searches). A high flow catalytic converter doesn't cost you any performance and neither do modern aftermarket muffler designs. There used to be plain steel pipe systems that rusted out quickly. So go at least aluminized steel.

·
Super Moderator
24,972 Posts
You will need a cat, or similar, for long term, as without that backpressure, EGR system won't work properly, and your valves will be running too hot.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yeah I hear you. A 4 into 1 header with a 2-1/2" pipe out the side ahead of the rear wheel, similar to what they do in NASCAR, may be the ultimate for you. Watch the color of the plug insulators or monitor an O2 sensor gauge. Keeping the fuel injection? Don't know that the stock fuel map will keep up with this mod.

·
Super Moderator
24,972 Posts
Keeping fuel injection??? Nascar? This is an 80hp engine...how much cash are we talking about here. I think he's just looking for a quick and easy boost in hp, no??

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes and no, I have big plans for this little 80 HP truck, so I want to do things right, but I want to also do what I want to do, if there is a happy medium I'm fine with that to, on not running a cat unless I absolutely have to, to me it's just a big reatriction

·
Super Moderator
24,972 Posts
Regrettably, the EGR system depends on this. And without the EGR, your valves will run much hotter (shorter life). Shorter life can be restrictive, too!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You don't need a cat, all it does is filter your exhaust so its not as pollutant, yes it creates back pressure but so does your muffler

·
Super Moderator
24,972 Posts
Your ECU is tuned with the expectation of a catalytic converter. No cat, often limphome. You have an EGR valve, thermoprobe, modulator in your car - are you disabling that system, too??

·
Registered
74 Posts
The NASCAR systems are as simple as you can get. Just the header and a pipe out the side. They also run in excess of 11,000 rpm. Their intake, ignition, cam, header, etc. are tuned for this specific purpose. This seems to be what psycho1991 is proposing but maybe doesn't understand the ramifications of trying to do this on his suzuki. Maybe he could get there if he swapped in Weber carburators and had someone capable to tune it for him. He hasn't lived through the evolution of these systems like us old folks have. Dyno runs have proved that the restriction from modern cats and mufflers is virtually insignificant. More significant is the design of the exhaust pipe itself. He really can't do better than a 2" system with mandril bends, especially if he kicks it out ahead of the rear tire.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts