Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive heard form a lot of people that this 10% gas is messing up a lot of motors and especialy small engines like lawmmowers. what gas are ya'll runing in your Zuks and what affect does the 10% have on the zuke engine. the mech. that rebuilt my motor suggested i dont run 10% in it . can find 0% down by the hunting camp but not so easy up here in the city.

·
Registered
33 Posts
10% ethenol will give you slightly less power and fuel milage, it has a shorter shelf life and it attracts water. Stabilize your fuel if you don't plan to use it fairly quick. Research fuel stabilizers, there are some great products and info on this.
It will also shorten the life of rubber components in your fuel system (hoses,"o"rings,diaphrams etc) The affects of e-85 (15% ethenal) is even worse. I will never accept the concept of using food to make fuel...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Ethanol is drinking alcohol and taxed accordingly unless denatured. Methanol is found in (old-fashioned) anti-freeze and Sterno, toxic and hard on rubber and plastics, and is very slightly corrosive (more acidic than water, but nowhere near soda pop). It's converted to formeldahyde as it's metabolized. You wouldn't voluntarily drink formeldahyde. Ethanol is infinitely miscible in water (and vice versa) and picks up water in your gas, so it's used as dry-gas additive. The gasoline/ethanol/water mix is burned as gasoline and your gas tank is water free (for a while) again. Most fuel systems can tolerate up to 10% Ethanol without re-calibration. It's commonly called gasahol. I have no hesitation about using 10% Ethanol mixtures in any of my five vehicles, and actually welcome the pick-up of water condensation in my fuel system(s), although I'd steer clear of Methanol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Question for KJ2837: For the life of me I can't see the connection between the fuel you use and the condition of your alternator

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think KJ is talking about a portable small gas engine powered generator. Those of us who also have outboard powered boats are not happy with ethenol in fuel either...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok, now that makes WAY more sense !!! Personally I object to the whole gasohol deal on principle, but that's a debate for another thread

·
Registered
38 Posts
I haven't had an issue with any of my small engines to date using 10% (2 4kW generators, garden tractor, lawn mower, snow blower). I run 93 oct in my Sam'i, but always have since it was brand new, way before the feds brought in the '"engine killer".

·
Registered
278 Posts
PAT264,its my generator at home not my alternator....

My chainsaw and weed eater are acting up as well..Something about the diaphram that gets attacked by the 10% is what a small engine repairman told me??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts