Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For a while now, my estate j18a won't idle as it should..
Every few seconds the revs drop a bit (like when the fans kick in, even though they don't). Last week I noticed the dropping in the revs is accompanied by a slight popping out of the exhaust. It isn't really a bang, just a puff of air being expelled out of the backbox.
What i've done so far:
- Replaced the plugs
- Replaced fuel filter
- Checked the MAF: was clean
- Cleaned the IAC: no effect
- Cleaned the EGR valve: no effect, disconnected the EGR: no effect, blocked the EGR: no effect
- Checked the ignition timing: was off a few degrees, appeared to solve the problem, but ended up with way to low rpm
- Raised the idle rpm a bit

After this it all seamed to be fixed, but this morning at the traffic lights... *bop* ..... *bop*.....

Odd thing is that this only occurs on idle. Every other rpm there's no issues whatsoever.. Pulls like it should, maintains steady rpm on every speed.. One thing I did notice is when looking at the timing without being in timing mode, the timing jumps a bit on the moment of the *bop*..
Whatsgoingonhere? I'm clueless..

·
Registered
811 Posts
Popping out of the exhaust pipe is usually caused by pin holes in the exhaust pipe, or a rusty muffler full of tiny holes, that is sucking air in and causing the unburned gas in the tail pipe to get hot enough to explode.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts