Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed my baby was warming up a little rough yesterday--went out this morning and started her after about 50 yards I realized the oil light was on and as I stopped to pull into a space to investigate my engine rattled to a halt and now all I got is a whizzzzzzzz and no engine engagement when I try to turn my key. If I have a dead or locked up engine--does the Powertrain warranty cover such a failure? I owe 13 more payments on her and I hate to send her to push pull or drag trade in hell.

Help?

·
Registered
135 Posts
if it something major like that i would ASSUME that they would cover it under warranty if its still in affect. BUT they might try to put the blame on you and say that YOU didn't "maintain" the vehicle and will make you pay for it. So its really a matter if you dealerships mechanics are stupid and rude or not. I have a regular custom at my shop that had an 04 forenza and he literally had parts falling off his car due to mechanics not doing their jobs right and the dealership tried to put the blame on him.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The drivetrain warrenty is 7years/100000mile. If it is part of the mechanical parts its covered. PCM/catalytic converter is 8years/ 80000miles. most gaskets and seals are covered. If the timing belt broke it could have been to the waterpump, did you have the recall done? Either way if the belt went (either due to waterpump or a worn out tensioner) the head will have to be replaced and is covered if vehicle is still within the 7/100000.

·
Registered
235 Posts
...I realized the oil light was on and as I stopped to pull into a space to investigate my engine rattled to a halt and now all I got is a whizzzzzzzz and no engine engagement when I try to turn my key.../QUOTE]
how much oil is in the engine right now? when was your last oil change? If your description is suggesting that the oil ran out, the warranty becomes dependent on WHY the oil pressure dropped. Was the filter or drainplug loose? then the people who changed the oil last should cover it. Has it been 20,000 miles since you've changed your oil? Then you're going to be the one with the bill.
If the timing belt lost time due to most likely the water pump, as supposed above, powertrain warranty would cover it.
Best of luck...
~Erik~

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From my mechanics buddy's opinion it sounds like the belt went. I had no oil light before that morning, no overheating, no warning it all. The car died and went kerplunk when i slowed to a stop. The starter still whizzes and I don't get the engine lock up KTHUNK when I try to turn her over. She gets towed in tomorrow to find out.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The drivetrain warrenty is 7years/100000mile. If it is part of the mechanical parts its covered. PCM/catalytic converter is 8years/ 80000miles. most gaskets and seals are covered. If the timing belt broke it could have been to the waterpump, did you have the recall done? Either way if the belt went (either due to waterpump or a worn out tensioner) the head will have to be replaced and is covered if vehicle is still within the 7/100000.

Whoa. Recall?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Whoa. Recall?
there was a recall regarding the water pump. The pulley has a flange on both sides of it to keep the belt centered: one is machined into the pulley, the other is a circle of stamped steel spot-welded onto the back of the pulley. When the belt rides against the welded flange, it can break free, sometimes interfereing with the belt and throwing the timing off (sometimes catastrophically). The recall involves checking to see if the belt is riding on the welded flange. If it is, the water pump is replaced with an updated style (don't get me started about that) along with a new belt. If the belt is in the center of the pulley, you do nothing and button the car back up.
This recall applies to some 2004-2005MY Forenza/Renos, but not all...you'd have to have a dealership see if your car was included. If not, the repair would still fall under powertrain warranty as long as the water pump or its pulley was to blame. As I said above, your call may have gotten the recall performed (inspection only) and still fail later, so pretty much ignore the recall altogether...you can use it to help your case for warranty repairs, but whether or not your car got it performed doesn't really change anything in the end from your car's point of view.
~Erik~

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update---
#1 The dealership called and said I had no compression and sludgy oil. Duh. I could have told them that.
#2 They asked for ALL of my oil change records, which I do not have and told them so.
#3 They said they'd check with Suzuki and see what was up. At this point I pretty much started calling dealerships for a push, pull or drag trade in.

#4 Today I was called and told that Suzuki was sending someone in to the dealership to check things out. I was told by my service guy at the dealership that this was a very good sign.

Here's hoping.:confused:

·
Registered
135 Posts
at least you have a dealership thats going to do work...all the ones within 2 1/2 to 3 hours drive are all closed down in my area so i cant get any warranty work done to mine...im currently trying to sell my car but with the stuff on it and the damage to the door i dont think ill get 4grand for it but good luck with yours hopefully you will get it fixed =D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update/ Final Answer on this.
Dealership contacted me and told me Suzuki would be willing to pay 50% of the cost of my repair leaving me with a 1400.00 bill. I was on tour with my band so I told them I'd call them back when I was back in town. I was told by the service Mgr that the Suzuki rep didn't want to honor ANY of the warranty, but that the dealership owner had 'gone to bat' for me and gotten me a 50-50 deal. I was given no explanation as to why I was being held responsible for half the bill, just that I was. So when I got back in to town I called my service mgr and asked him to prep a list of all parts and services that would total the 2800.00 they said they'd pay part of and an explanation as to why I was paying for one part but not another. I let him know I'd be in the dealership by 4:30. I get a call around hour later from my service manager who tells me the reason the rep didn't want to give me anything was that I hadn't had the recall checked out involving the water pump/timing chain. I asserted to my service guy that I never received notice one about the recall. He stated that looking at my service record at the dealership that I had been really consistent about having the car serviced when the need arose and that I should possibly make that case to Suzuki. So he gives me my VIN and an 800#. I make the call, talk to a nice lady in a call center and tell her what I've told you guys. She calls the dealership and they confirm what I've been offered and their end of things. I tell her I never received the recall notice and she asks for my mailing address but I ask her to read me what she has. Suzuki had been sending all corrospondance to an address I hadn't lived at since 2005. She thought that the 50/50 sounded odd and 'inappropriate' to use her words so she kicked it up the food chain. 2 Hours later my service guy calls me back and tells me they're covering EVERYTHING. Hot. So by pushing and having a service dude who was actually looking out for me, I get a whole new engine free of charge.

Hot.

Thanks for all your support and well wishes!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts