Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 88 suzuki samurai with a rebuilt motor,pretty much everything is new or had been rebuilt and a few days ago it just shut off on me in normal driving conditions..i got the carb rebuilt because i thought it was time to and it was pretty much the only thing on the whole sammy i havent rebuilt or replaced and it still wont run right..is sputters and spits gas through the carb when sputtering? i checked the fuel filer, fuel pump ,distributor , rotor, plugs pretty much everything. last resort i pulled the timing belt cover off and everything looked ok i took the belt off to closely inspect the belt and there was a small teat in the middle.The belt had only 1000 miles maybe 1500 since the rebuild..i ordered a new OEM belt today..is it possible that the tear caused the belt to slip and knock it off timing? or could it be another problem? she was running perfect from day one of firing her up since the rebuild..any suggestions? maybe a valve? any help is appreciated..

·
Registered
94 Posts
The factory carb has too many sensors, one or more sensors for the carb are possibly not working. I put a petroworks cv carb and it runs amazing!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i put on a brand new carb and nothing..also put on a carb from my cousins running samurai and still nothing....

·
Registered
94 Posts
THats what im trying to tell you... its not the carb. its all the sensors, a few are mounted to the firewall, and some around the carb. if you dont want to deal with this problem, i highly recommend going to petroworks website and checking out the 40mm cv carb setup. best purchase iever made for my samurai. the factory carb is total garbage, all the other import manufactures were using multiport injection at that time. so suzuki decided they would make a turd that was completly electronic, with sensors, blah blah blah..... sell it an get what u can back, and get a real carb...... petroworks.com

and no i dont work for them , lol.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so the petroworks carb completly bypasses all the sensors? did you notice an improvement i power with the petro carb?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Spitting fuel out the carb sounds a lot more like a timing issue than a carb issue.

From your description, it sounds like it was running fine and then suddenly it was not. Is that correct?

If so, that is a classic jumped timing symptom. I would check to make sure the timing marks line up like they should, before doing anything else.

·
Registered
94 Posts
so the petroworks carb completly bypasses all the sensors? did you notice an improvement i power with the petro carb?
Yea, I'll post a pic of my engine bay, it looks SUPPPPER clean, the only wires going to my engine are the 2 wires for the alternator, water temp sensor, and oil pressure sensors, i completly removed EVERY other sensor. It was super easy install, very stright forward, and they took the chart down, but years ago when I bought mine they claimed 80 hp, hehe, I can tell you this, i flipped my tin top and it was still running great, those harly carbs will do all angles. not only that but instead of using a throttle plate thats blocking at wide open throttle, the cv carb is like a gilatine, when your wide open throttle the slide opens and makes a huge passage, the fuel atomizes alot better this way.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ive had this problem with mine, its timing, ur cam is 180 out. take off the timing belt cover. Get the crank to TDC and rotate your cam 180 degrees off TDC make sure the rotor arm on the distrebutor is at the firing position for the No1 piston. put on the timing belt and rotate the crank 360, the 2 TDC marks will now aline, and its now setup too rum :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts