Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 87 sammy carbed all stock. i got it for 200$ and it was sitting in the woods. i have put new air filter new fuel filter new plugs new plug wires ran ok for a while never could break 50mph. I have been tooling around in it on our property and having a blast. my problem started when i took it out one night and got it to about 35 on our road and it cut out on me took it home finally checked the plugs and they were fouled so i replaced them and it started right up. took it out for a ride drove less than a mile down he road and it cut out on me again fouled the plugs again. any ideas or any help has anyone else had this problem. im hoping head gasket or valve guides leaking oil but im scared its piston rings? any other ideas and has anyone done a basic rebuild on these how much and where to get rebuild kits if neccessary?

·
Super Moderator
17,596 Posts
Does it smoke out of the exhaust? :rolleyes: (blue=oil, black=fuel)

How long was it sitting?

Did you dump the old gas and change the oil in it as well?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was told it sat there for 7 years. before i drove it around i dumped all the old gas and put new in plus with a fuel treatment to get any water out of the system. along with new oil in the engine and tranny and transfer case. it does not smoke more than a 25 year engine should. (only during start up ).

·
Super Moderator
17,596 Posts
So...fouling the plugs without a visible exhaust smoke to any degree then. :huh: Odd.

Please define "fouling"...wet? Coked on crud? Black oily? Or???

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
any ideas on what to check next i've been reading up on this forum about valve seals and other things. next chance i get im going to do a compression test and then ill know how extreme my issues are. and then ill need to figure out what to do next

·
Super Moderator
17,596 Posts
Very odd (no smoke). :(

PCV valve changed?

Any piston "blow-by" as evidenced by vapor & pressure out of the oil fill hole when idling by chance?
(rings / cylinder bore issues).

Timing check & set too.

After that...compression check.

·
Super Moderator
17,596 Posts
Do a...

Visual inspection down the oil fill hole. Sludge? (clogged drain-back holes, leaving oil flooding the top end / valve stem seal area). :huh:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oil fill hole pressure? piston blow by? what should i look for for that kind of thing
and pcv valve change? are you saying to change that or to check and see if it needs changing
timing check (im new to these 4cly. i rebuilt chevy 350 but thats extent of knowledge)
should i pull the timing cover and see if the cam and crank gears match up or check and see if the belt is the problem( if so will the haynes manuals tell me what the indicators for the timing marks are/ should be)

·
Super Moderator
17,596 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok and yes i have a service manual ill check those things and there is no way for me to check the blow by due to i can't keep it running because the plugs are fouled so ill check some of those things and get back to you thanks so much for your help

·
Super Moderator
17,596 Posts
One more thing to observe...white smoke or steam out of the tailpipe ='s an engine internal coolant leak.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Motor swap

Will a f5a motor turbo fit in my 88 samurai that has a 1
3l i can find the turbo three cylinder motor want to know if it will bolt up to my tranny and what other kinda issues i would have puttin it in thank you much

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Might want to try a more advaned thread considering I'm trying to figure out why my spark plugs are fouling might want to switch threads or ask a more advanced member or more relevant thread ... good luck

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
took it to autozone and they said the plugs showed rich fuel so i think it is prob the carb. but would that explain the blackness of the sparkplug?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i've been looking for carbs and seen weber nikki and harley carb swaps for these. does anyone who uses their sammy for off road mostly or inner city have a say on these carbs and performance. im looking for using it for mostly trials and off roading but could use it in the city as well if i get better gas mileage out of it. just wondering and whats easy/ cheap/ worth it. any imput helps thanks

·
Registered
193 Posts
Weber bad choice for off roading, and fuel economy...
Harley and Nikki i have no experience with personally, however CD type cars are among the most fuel efficient type of pure analogue carb you can get.
The KE70 Corolla Carb also a good choice...and probably the easiest fit as it is a bolt up replacement with only minor changes need to be made...foru studs, some epoxy and a Dremel...Google it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts