Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just purchased an 86 samurai and the 1.3 is ok but im wanting something with a little more power. im not a mudder or rock crawler so my samurai wont see any of that, but i would like a good engine that i can drive 60-70 range and still get decent fuel consumption. my do occasional light off roading. any suggestions on new engines for the samurai???? any feedback is appreciated

·
Banned
329 Posts
A tracker/sidekick 1.6 8V is probably the most popular swap. If you do this swap, I highly recommend using the 1.6 fuel injection too (just don't throw the samurai carb on the 1.6, like many people do:rolleyes:).

·
Registered
278 Posts
The 1600 8 valve will add 15 hp. ( 80 hp )
BUT is prone to cracks in the crank case journals. Be careful when buying a used one.
The 16 valve will net you 30 hp ( 95hp ) But requires a bunch of work. ( EFI )and is prone to cracks in the crank case journals.
We opted for the Datsun L 20B and drop pan 4 speed , 45 hp gain ( 110 hp )
Actually it was a much easier swap than the 16 valve due to the simple wiring,
and miner fab work.
After 60 days of testing and refinement. I am netting 28 mpg average. The thing pulls like a mule and Has no problem exceeding highway speeds in top gear. And I live in Oregon. No such thing as flat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts