Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I've got a 99 Chevy tracker with the 1.6 16 valve and a rod busted on it and put a hole in the block would a 1.6 16 valve from a 96-98 work or possibly would a 1.6 8valve block possibly work if I swapped the head on it

· Registered
774 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I don't have any experience with the 1.6 engines, but someone will be along shortly to answer the questions.

· Registered
774 Posts
My GUESS is that the 96-98 16V engine would be fine. You may have to rearrange a vacuum line or maybe swap the intakes over though.

· Administrator
19,493 Posts
The 96~98 use a different head & cam, etc. - they have a distributor, the 99s are coil on plug - you'd need to swap everything above the head gasket, but other than that I think you should be fine. Pre 96 16v engines won't have the crank sensor in the oil pump, and whilst you could in theory use an 8v block, it's not a good idea unless you're swapping the pistons etc.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 96~98 use a different head & cam, etc. - they have a distributor, the 99s are coil on plug - you'd need to swap everything above the head gasket, but other than that I think you should be fine. Pre 96 16v engines won't have the crank sensor in the oil pump, and whilst you could in theory use an 8v block, it's not a good idea unless you're swapping the pistons etc.
Ok so if I use the 8valve block then basically would have to replace the pistons as well would the rods and crank be fine to use as well

· Administrator
19,493 Posts
91 onwards the rods & crank are all the same, but I can't help but wonder if you realise how much work the swap you're contemplating is - IF you're going to do the job properly.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
91 onwards the rods & crank are all the same, but I can't help but wonder if you realise how much work the swap you're contemplating is - IF you're going to do the job properly.
Only reason Im looking at doing it that way is because I haven't been able to find any 16 valves but I've found a 8 valve for cheap that are good and I've built quite a few engines but didn't know much about these so just trying to find info on them before I dive into it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts