Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 87' sammy. engine is kaput. whats the best thing to do? swap with a V6 or V8 or rebuild. gotta do it on the cheap.

·
Registered
201 Posts
what kind of engine is that in the pic?

the easiest swap is probably the 8 valve or 16 valve tracker/sidekick motor. but depends on what is wrong with the ol 1.3, a rebuild might be cheaper if engine not a total loss

·
Registered
20 Posts
this is a bolt in
Well, almost a bolt in, anyway. The distributor must be modified (turned 90*, using a modified Mazda disty cap & modified rotor) else it hits the firewall. Of course, you could always cut up the firewall...

Easy? Inexpensive? Easiest and most inexpensive is to replace your 1.3 with another 1.3... or rebuild your existing 1.3. Anything past that will require either mechanical modifications or electronic modifications or both.

:beer:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi if you do the repair you self it will cost you very cheap you can get the parts on ebay and it wont be more than $150.00 using good quality components ,i rebuilt my engine like 6 month a go and i an extremely happy ,and with the gas price this 1.3 engine is great ,my sammy is complete stock and is a 1987 and it will get to 85 easy ,if you want change the engine to more powerfull you will need to change a lot but a 1.6 DOHC will do a great power increase but depend on your budget

·
Registered
9 Posts
Agree withthe 8valve sidekick/vitara/tracker 1.6 engine. You can use the sammy intake manifold so everything bolts in. The performance gain & mileage are excellent.

·
Registered
12 Posts
V6 or V8 swap

Hey,

It depends on how cheap you are looking to get away with. I did a V6 (vortec) swap in my samurai. The V6 swap gives you way more power then you will ever need. Actually, I wanted a lot of power, people told me when I was doing my V6 swap that it was over kill. I said good. I have 33s on my samurai and I spin them on the dry pavement without even thinking about it. But there are many many things you have to do to get do the V6 or V8 swap. You have to do either a SPOA or some kind of suspension lift to get the height between the oil pan and the front axle. Then you would want to consider a body lift to get yourself some height between the top of the motor and the hood. I actually have a 5 inch SPOA and a 3 inch body lift on mine. Then you are going to have to get some special made exhaust manifolds, because the stock ones will not fit between the frame rails. You are going to have to get new engine mounts and fabricate a new tranny mount and cross-member. You are also going to have to remount the transfer case and get your front drive shaft elongated and your rear shortened. if you buy a kit (pretty expensive) they have all the stuff laid out. I did all my own stuff. It is ugly under my truck but it is rock solid. Feel free to email me with questions: [email protected]

Will

1 - 8 of 8 Posts