Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry I'm sure this already has a thread but I couldn't find it.

I have a 92 cavalier with the 2.2l 4cyl and 5 speed transmission and was wondering how hard it would be to put them in my 89 samurai.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
686 Posts
The first thing I would consider is that your doner vehicle is a front wheel drive so you would need a transmission adaptor to mate the GM mill to the Samurai transmission. I'm not sure what other problems might be posed by using this engine, I believe it's quite a bit heavier than the Suzy 1.3 or 1.6. and 2.0 but HP is not that much more, I'm not sure about torque though and if it's worth it. I think your 2.2 is worth around 110 hp and the 1.6 16v around 100 and the 2.0 I want to say is around 125 but not sure on that last one

Check dimensions, length and weight, oil pan clearance. Unless you are a good fabricator I would think twice about this one.

I'm going to venture off to say that going with the tried and true 1.6 swap the money you spend getting a Suzy engine (some out there running up to 2.0L) will be saved in the conversion. I believe it can be done but thinking that a 1.6, 1.8 or 2.0 Suzy engine would be (probably) considerably lighter and still powerful enough plus you get Japanese build quality rather than trusting something from GM. I'm not sure how easy the ECU and wiring will be but I think GM is usually pretty straight forward. I think it would be a pain in the ass and the end product would lack the reliability of a fully Japanese machine. All this being said I would be fascinated to see pics and hear how the project comes along.

Noteworthy, there is a conversion kit for the Diesel VW, which will also let you bolt in a gas powered VW, I considered a 1.8 turbo VW engine for decent power but ended up just going with the 1.6 16v and pretty glad I did.

Just out of curiousity, how will this Samurai get used. All offroad or street? Highway? Daily driver?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for all the info. I plan on using the zUK off road only. It has a nissan motor in it right now. I am trying to find what engine it is exactly. Once I know more I'll post it

·
Registered
686 Posts
Snap a pic and post it, there is a fellow here that runs an L20B and loves it, his install is amazingly clean and the L20B is light and powerful. Post engine numbers or a pic and I think you will get your answer quickly.

Does it have a carb or EFI? I'm intrigued.

If mine were offroad only I might have just warmed up the 1.3 a little, but it's all rocks here and it's all about gears instead of HP.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts