Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry if I am posting this in the wrong spot. I have a kit car made from an 87 Samurai and I want to swap the 1.3 for a 1.6. I have read some other posts and have an idea of what needs to be done. I have the complete 1.6 8V from a 93 Geo Tracker (–ECM). I would like to keep the TBI but am not sure of how to add the VSS to the Samurai gauge cluster? If I leave this off will it keep setting a code???

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow! That is exactly what I am looking for! Thanks! Now I just have to try and find a good ECM for 93 Tracker M/T.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Sorry I have another question. The kit car I have has a PTO that comes off the back of the transfer case that I use with the transfer case in neutral. Since the Speedo cable comes off the output shafts will this set a code 24 when I use the PTO?? If so is there a way to trick the ECU into thinking a M/T is in park or could I make a small oscillator witch keeps pulling the VSS line low during PTO operation?

·
Registered
616 Posts
code 24...

What is a "code 24"?

From my guessing as to what you have, I don't think you will have any drivability problems.

There is really not much electrical going on in a stock '87 Samurai around the transmission. The 5th gear switch provides feedback to the ECU/carburetor. Samurais have been know to operate with slightly less fuel economy without this switch working properly. Naturally, a 1.6 swap may delete the use of this switch. The other circuit is the reverse switch - which turns on the reverse lights on the rear bumper.

Is this a Dutton amphibian that you are trying to restore??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am swapping my 1.3 for a 1.6 TBI so the old ECU for the 87 Samurai is not used. I just picked up the new ECU for a 91-93 Tracker M/T. If I am using the PTO (power take off) from the transfer case to drive the propeller (It is a Dutton Surf I just built last winter) will this set a code 24 (lost speed sensor) in the ECU? I don’t want to keep clearing the ECU every time I go for a boat ride. I may have to design a circuit using a hull effect transistor or an optic encoder on the prop shaft??

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
You won't have a problem with the VSS if you have it fitted in the speedo, the speedo cable is from the back of the gearbox which will still be rotating.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The PTO comes off the back of the transfer case opposite to where the input shaft comes in. There is a square flange there on the factory case that is normally blocked off but on mine the input shaft goes straight through into a second clutch. When I am moving in the water the transfer case is in N and the wheels are not turning. The speedo cable comes off the drive shaft side and not where the PTO is.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dutton Surf questions

I have been searching the internet for two years asking questions about the Dutton Surf. I came accross this post and if you have the time I have a whole list of questions.
1. Did you build from the kit and used a local Samuri donor?
2. How was the experiance with dealing with Dutton as far as customer support?
3. Have you tried to register the car/boat with the DMV? This is my biggest concern here in California that the DMV will demand a ridiculus amount of safety testing or paperwork.
4. Same question except registering it as a boat.
5. Or did you register in as an Amphibious vehicle? if so what was the amount of papwerwork to register?
6. Does Dutton supply any paperwork to help get thru the registration process?
7. And if you got this far I then would move onto the acual technical aspects of the build.
I have the assembly manual and could ask questions and refernce the step numbers.
Thanks for any info

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, that is too many questions to answer with my two-finger typing skills lol. I will answer the first 3
1 Yes
2 Good
3 Yes it is registered (Canada)
There is a short video of my car on you tube. Search "Dutton Surf Amphibious car". Sorry for the brief answers (I hate typing) but if you are really interested and don’t mind a long-distance phone call, is there a way you can privet message me?

·
Registered
4 Posts
zook engine swap

hey guys i was just wondering if anyone knows if there is an engine that bolts perfectly in place to the 1995 Suzuki sierra as i have just blown my whole head unit and found that my cylinders are loose.
i have always been wanting more power to my stock zook as she doesnt run as well i i would like.
i am a beginner to the mechanical stuff and am looking for a fairly easy job (and hopefully not to expensive)

im looking for a 1.6 or higher is its possible??

·
Registered
4 Posts
G'Day guys i have bought myself a Suzuki sierra 1.3l but just recently ive blown the head unit as the head gasket wasn't placed properly while i was taking the unit apart i later found that the cylinders were quite loose and rickety the old fella i bought it of said that he had rebuilt the engine from the ground up (starting to wonder if he had his glasses with him) getting to the point is it worth buying all these parts to do an entire rebuild myself or can it be more convenient to get a new engine if so i would be looking to upgrade from my stock 1.3 is there an engine that can be bolted straight in without any body modifications having to be done??

thanking in advance for your time :)

ps; please excuse the first post i wasnt sure if it had sent :)

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
There isn't a direct swap, the simplest is a G16A 8V engine which requires and adapter, a replacement engine mount, a little reworking of the oil pump and pan and an electric fuel pump if you have a carb engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
OK that's helpful thank you
i have done some sort of research and have found some other forums saying that the G16B is an easy fit almost direct, easy to wire up etc... and is the G16a easy to find or am i going to need to do some scrounging :)

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
The G16A is easy to find in the UK, if you're in Australia then its worth asking on Auszookers.com. How difficult it is to wire a G16B depends on how good you are at wiring, that was simple for me, modifying the oil pick-up pipe was more difficult.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Jimny 1300 auto engine swap

Hi guys new to the forum, based in Pretoria, South Africa. We are blimited to jimny's with only an under powered 1300 engine in South Africa. I need a M16A (Swift) engine...used/new.... to get some go into the jimny. Where can I order from...any advice will be appreciated.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts