Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1995 sidekick with a 1.6l 16 valve 5speed 4x4 with a bad engine. And i have a 1990 (i think) sidekick with an 8 valve with a bad automatic transmission. I want to put the 8 valve engine in my 95 sidekick. Just wondering what all i would have to change between the two cars to make it work. Or if i could even get it to work.

Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
16,301 Posts
First - my answer does not take into consideration any emission control regulations, as I am not familiar with Canadian requirements, I will just say that some countries will not allow an older engine to be installed in a vehicle.

The 8v ECU does not control the transmission and as far as I know will not throw any codes if it's not there, it should be a relatively easy swap if you're comfortable with the electrical side of things. If you're paying someone else to do the job, they might not agree with me.

·
Super Moderator
25,542 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You may want to explain what a ‘bad engine’ actually means. Sometimes things are considered ‘bad’ when you’ve diagnosed improperly, don’t understand the engine, etc., etc.

·
Administrator
16,301 Posts
Whilst in most cases a hole in the block would definitely be considered a "bad" engine, I do recall in my early youth a "rootes group" engine running flawessly, even though it had a hole in the block, the biggest problem it had was keeping the oil inside.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,239 Posts
Heavy duty Tin foil and JB weld would fix that up

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Or a large cork.
🤷‍♂️
Don

·
Super Moderator
25,542 Posts
Getting back to the original post, there are 3 ‘generations’ of Trackicks - 89-90, 91-95, 96-98. It’s usually simplest to stick to your car’s generation. That being said, if you (basically) downgrade to the lower generation, you’ll need the harness and ECU from the 90 Trackick as well. The ECU runs your current 95 engine - the 90 can actually run without the ECU. There are different sensors that your 95 ECU will be looking for, as well.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
It might be easier to use the 1990 block to build a "new" 16v motor with the parts from the 1995.

I KNOW the results would be better.

---
In addition to the year generations that Bex mentioned, there is a major difference between 8v and 16v, besides the upper end of the motor but also in the wiring, and ECU.

You would be crossing two "down-grades" in your proposed swap.

In my opinion, the 93 to 95 16v models are the best of all the generations.... but that is just me.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
In my opinion, the 93 to 95 16v models are the best of all the generations.... but that is just me.
Just curious, but why do you favor that engine over, say a 99 16v?

I like the building a 16v with parts idea.
Don

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
It is more of a compromise thing, the 16v have more power than the simpler 8v. (More than 15% from the same displacement.) The 94/95's have the sensors to make it work without getting to complicated.

OBD2, (1996 and up) does provide some advantages in diagnostics, but for a back yard mechanic?

I do like the EGR passages in the newer 16v intakes. MUCH easier to clean and keep clean.

·
Registered
10,036 Posts
I do like the EGR passages in the newer 16v intakes. MUCH easier to clean and keep clean.
This is why I like the VVT 2.4s no EGR on them, it's all done using cam timing

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
OBD2, (1996 and up) does provide some advantages in diagnostics, but for a back yard mechanic?

Yep, agree. Also inexpensive on the bay plus it fits my 99 and GV 2.5.
Just wondering if there were more goodies available, I would keep an eye out for those years.
You never know what might show up.
Maybe a low priced or free engine with VVT :p
You never know, ya know.

Don

·
Registered
10,036 Posts
Yep, agree. Also inexpensive on the bay plus it fits my 99 and GV 2.5.
Just wondering if there were more goodies available, I would keep an eye out for those years.
You never know what might show up.
Maybe a low priced or free engine with VVT :p
You never know, ya know.

Don

Hmmm, wonder if you could shoehorn a set of 3G GV running gear into a tracker, what a beast that would be.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
I'm working on a friends Grand Am with a 2.2L Ecotec engine and thinking . . . . . Hmmmmmmm
They are getting 920HP out of the 2.0L's with turbos. Sooooo, I'd settle for just a third without. 🤠

Don

·
Registered
10,036 Posts
Why would you want an explodotec?

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
I wouldn't want an explodotec,
I'd want a runs and runs for 200K.
I think those require changing the oil more often than now & then.
😺

Don

1 - 17 of 17 Posts