Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 87 samurai, its my daily driver to work. I have a problem Ill be driving to work and the engine dies. It runs fine then dies, I would try to restart it but it would crank but never turn over. I would come back later that day and it would start right up. I have checked everything. Then someone told me its the ignition control module or icm. he says it sounds like its getting hot and shutting down. My problem is I dont want to spend the money for an icm and that not be the problem. Please help me...

·
Registered
105 Posts
ive got a 93 1.3 sierra the oz version of a samuria i had the same sort of problem start and run fine then cut out take a bit to start it then fine and then it done it all over again and it was my ignition coil cost me $350 australian but 4x4 runns alot better now. try tapping it with a hammer when hot and if it does start straight away then its the ignition coil.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I just have a question though. No disrespect, but are you sure you replaced the coil and not the icm. The reason I ask this is the price for the icm is around $350, and the coil goes for $30 to $60. did you replace anything in the distributor ? Again no disrespect, I just dont want to waste money on parts I dont need. Thanks...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sounds like it is probably an ignition (no spark) issue but you need to verify. Pull a spark plug wire and check for spark when your truck is in its no start condition. If there is no spark you should be able to test the coil with an ohm meter. You can research the specs/proceedure on that. Also check the secondary coil wire where it plugs into coil and into distributor. There should be no discoloration or charring at the metal contacts inside the boots. If the coil tests good (while hot, as it might pass test cold) ICM is a good GUESS. The online manuals should have troubleshooting proceedures that will help you. If there is spark when in no start condition you will need to verify fuel. Could be as simple as a fuel filter. There are a lot of links posted in this forum that contain the information you need to properly troubleshoot your particular problem. It is hard to troubleshoot this type of problem without actually seeing the vehicle... Hope this helps.

·
Registered
105 Posts
not sure wot you guys call icm but i think wot you call an icm in oz we call ignition coil. my sierra is a carby model wot i call the ignition coil is the black cylinder thing mounted on the firewall next to the dizzy just had an idea unclip your dizzy cap and see if the little silver pins are still there and not eaten away from the electricity same as the rotor button in dizzy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts