Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a used engine for mine that I plan to rebuild as a summer project.

Is the bellhousing area still the recommended way to support this engine? Or is required to support it from the block side mounts?

It may be a dumb question but I definitely want to check before risking the overhung load cracking the aluminum at the bellhousing.

·
Super Moderator
19,087 Posts
Is the bellhousing area still the recommended way to support this engine?
Sure is! ;)

If you have the appropriately located SIDE mounting holes (often we do not) that is an option.

I did so recently on this 1949 Cockshutte tractor engine for instance, which made for easy access to both engine and flywheel end working. This engine didn't HAVE the traditional bell-housing mounting pattern.

We use to do 71 series GM diesels the same way, back in my USN days.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool thanks. I got it mounted up tonight. Had to get longer bolts because I wanted to utilize the most possible thread engagement of those top holes. Also took some time to play with shims since the stand face wasn't exactly flat and I didn't want any additional loads on the block.

Yes I had just wondered if I somehow needed to utilize the foot mounts that attach to the block on the sides, because that would better center the load. I am used to traditional USA cast iron blocks which are more forgiving. Working with aluminum can be like straddling a fine line.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,264 Posts
Never had an issue with the bell housing flange bolts... Did mount one via an engine mount and adapter plate.....

...... Philip

1 - 4 of 4 Posts