Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
i have a 93 escudo when the engine is running and i remove the oil cap the idle drops and the engine goes to stall. i have been advised that it could be the pcv system but i have tried the same thing on other suzys but with g16b and there idle was uneffected .Other then that the engine runs very wheel and i put it to the test most weekends.Any ideas would be helpfull

thanks

·
Super Moderator
19,090 Posts
i have been advised that it could be the pcv system
Those people are correct. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi
i have a 93 escudo when the engine is running and i remove the oil cap the idle drops and the engine goes to stall. i have been advised that it could be the pcv system but i have tried the same thing on other suzys but with g16b and there idle was uneffected .Other then that the engine runs very wheel and i put it to the test most weekends.Any ideas would be helpfull

thanks
Air is entering your system and changing the air/fuel mixture which causes the low idle and sometimes stalling. Pretty sure its a closed system. Hope that helps.:)

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
I would suspect the PCV as well, it probably just needs a clean out. If it is stuck open then it will draw in dirty air from inside the engine, when you take the cap off it will draw in clean air.

·
Super Moderator
25,561 Posts
It's simple to get out - you just remove the hose going to it, and then pull it out - it sits in a rubber housing, so you're just giving it a bit of oomph to pull it out. You can clean it with carb cleaner. And check the hose going to it for leaks etc. When you go to put it back in, it's easier to first connect it to the hose, and then push it back into the rubber grommet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok I removed the valve, seems to be functioning .tried one of a friends vitara on for a test same problem .any other suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
25,561 Posts
You're creating a vacuum leak when you remove the oil cap, which will drop your rpms. It's normal. I think this somewhat depends on whether you have a MAP or a MAF system, as to whether the idle will change - the MAP should compensate as it is measuring manifold pressure, but the MAF will not, as it's measuring air flow into the intake and idle will drop.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
just don't do that.

(problem solved! :p )
Have to admit I was thinking the same thing. Kind of like going to the doctor and telling him, when I twist my leg backwards it hurts. Then he says, don't twist your leg like that ...... Next!

Sorry, I'm sure there's a real reason for your stalling problem.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Yes, I know that both the 16 valve G16 and J18 used on the flavors of TracKicks covered on this forum have a PCV system that uses air after the metering. (IIRC the 8 valve uses a different method of measuring intake air.)

In theory, opening the cap would cause "illegal" air into the system. I wouldn't think it would be enough to cause the motor to stall but haven't actually taken the cap off any of mine while the motor was running.

Maybe it has other illegal air or vacuum leaks and this is just what pushes it over the edge.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts