Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am experiencing the following problem with my 2001 Jimny. After driving for about 70km, the engine would stutter, the rpm indicator would jump up and down, the malfunction light would come on and the engine would shut down. I would usually restart with no problems except for one time that I had my hazard lights on while trying to restart which caused the engine to idle erratically. When I turned off the hazards light the engine idled ok. I also stalled while in traffic once with similar symtoms except that it more attempts to restart. My fuel and air filter are both new. I suspect that I may have an electrical problem however I'm not sure where. I purchased a generic OBDII code reader however I was unable to link to the computer. I tried the code reader on another vehicle, a Lancer however, and it worked fine. I tried jumpering the 2 and 3 in the monitor cable to check the malfunction indicator light pulses however it remained on.
Any suggestions? Ignition coils maybe? Or some other sensor? Would appreciate any advice on what troubleshooting and how to check.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sound's like to me you have the same problem I had in my vitara...I needed a new CamShaft sensor...and it's been working fine ever since...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got the same problem, and more complicated. The engine of my 2002 Jimny stops, whenever:
1. above 80km/h, & 3000rpm (in highway)
2. above 20km/h, & 2000rpm (carrying load & climbing hill)
Sometimes when the rpm indicator is jumping, I can save it from totally shut down by stop pedalling the accelerator. Then the rpm drops to min and I can accelerate again.

It runs absolutely perfect inside the city. Seems there may be more than 1 cause for the engine stops & powerless of my Jimny. Can anyone give me some suggestions?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually ended up changing the crankshaft sensor but I suspect that there would be similar symptoms if either the cam or crankshaft sensor was giving trouble. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got a new camshaft sensor (for Auss $250) but the problem is still there. How can you tell whether its a camshaft or crankshaft sensor problem? Both of them will not show up on the OBD-II.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure how the problem can be isolated but I changed the camshaft sensor before changing the crankshaft sensor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts