Suzuki Forums banner
61 - 80 of 112 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,539 Posts
I've also seen folks use tie-down straps under the trans and around the frame rails as a sling / support for their tranny, FWIW.

·
Registered
12,055 Posts
I see your problem

Brake booster and battery are on the wrong sides :p

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Car Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

More progress. The intake manifold is out.

Glasses Hand Wood Sleeve Eyewear

These hose pliers -- all three sizes -- were invaluable.

Two humorous discoveries today. One, if you don't put the automatic transmission in neutral before you remove the battery you either have to open the access port in the console and operate the shift-lock solenoid manually or jumper 12 volts to pin 1 of shift-lock relay socket under the hood. NEITHER method will allow the shift lever to move if the key is in the OFF position. Two, after driving this car for 22 years I just today learned how to put the transfer case in neutral.

·
Registered
12,055 Posts
About time you read the manual....... obviously you never needed N prior to this hehe

The 3rd gen are the sane, but worse, electric shifting on transfer case. Mine at least has a button for the shift lock release by the shift lever.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Gas Wood Auto part Metal Fashion accessory

The cross-over pipe is out.

Wood Gas Auto part Automotive tire Automotive exterior

The right-hand catalytic converter stiffener bracket came out in two pieces. If I can't source a new one (p/n 14271-67D02) I will try to weld this one back together.

·
Registered
12,055 Posts
I hope that high pressure line off the pump wasn't cut, I can't see a fitting on the end of it, the one closest to the compressor tyre.

·
Super Moderator
19,539 Posts
The diff and rack could have stayed! And the pwr steering pump to HP line left intact, just pulled out of the way as a unit. ;)

You caused yourself a ton of extra work. And while on the subject...why did you remove the intake earlier?

Did you read the engine removal thread linked in post #4? :whistle:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I hope that high pressure line off the pump wasn't cut
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Rest assured no lines of any kind have been cut.

why did you remove the intake
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Auto part Metal Automotive wheel system

I'm going to replace the valve cover gaskets so the intake had to come off sometime. By taking it off now I have access to the bell housing bolts.

Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood

And cracking those bell housing bolts loose was child's play compared to uncoupling the O2 sensor connectors. I could never have gotten those apart with the intake in place. That was a struggle.

Did you read the engine removal thread linked in post #4?
Every word. Twice. And thank you for posting it. There were a lot of short cuts suggested there but since I'm not a mechanic and this is my first time pulling this engine I decided to follow the FSM. It says remove the steering gear and the front diff so I did.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Nothing wrong with getting stuff outta the way when necessary and/or convenient. Good job plugging away at this, you're kinda motivating me to get going on my Bazuki again.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Good job plugging away at this
Your encouragement came on the day I needed it most.

Musical instrument Gas Wind instrument Wood Home appliance

The oil pan(s) are off. And before you ask, here's why.

Hood Automotive lighting Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Three of the four torque converter bolts popped loose with a breaker bar. This one would not budge.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Automotive exterior

So before things went completely south I removed the oil pan(s) and spun the bolt to its lowest position.

Nickel Auto part Engineering Titanium Metal

That bolt didn't even try to put up a fight.

Money handling Coin Saving Wood Nickel

The three bolts that came out easily had a green coating.

Household hardware Coin Nickel Wood Metal

The stubborn bolt (left) is a gold color.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design

On the upside the torque converter bolts are out and four bell housing bolts and two bell housing nuts are broke loose.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
In the course of sourcing new torque converter bolts I found this TSB.
Font Parallel Rectangle Circle Diagram

That stubborn bolt wasn't just a different color, it's a completely different part number. My FSM makes no mention of this.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Wow...that's interesting. I had no idea, and I'll have to keep an eye out for that. Those little buggers are certainly a PITA! And...totally makes sense to remove the pan for access. I have yet to figure out how to get a torque wrench in there to install them, so far I've just been using the German torque spec.

·
Registered
12,055 Posts
Wow...that's interesting. I had no idea, and I'll have to keep an eye out for that. Those little buggers are certainly a PITA! And...totally makes sense to remove the pan for access. I have yet to figure out how to get a torque wrench in there to install them, so far I've just been using the German torque spec.
Ring spanner and fish scale, and a calculator

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Wood Gas Auto part Automotive tire Automotive exterior

I wanted to resolve the broken catalytic converter stiffener bracket before I pulled the engine.

Jaw Organism Mammal Art Gesture

Item 9 is what it looks like when it's not broken. The replacement the salvage yard sent me was the wrong part.

Art Close-up Wire Cable Electrical wiring

I'm not a welder so repairing the old one was a last resort. When I bolted the broken pieces back in place I noticed they did not match up perfectly. I wondered if the bracket had snapped due to excess tension in the metal.

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

Anyway, I tacked it once at the top.

Automotive tire Bicycle part Bicycle chain Auto part Automotive wheel system

And once at the bottom (with the "Y" pipe reinstalled).

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Gas Tints and shades

There was a significant gap when the geometry was correct.

Artifact Natural material Metal Wood Composite material

I did not try to run a bead. I just stitched it back together with a line of penetrating spot welds.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior

I hit it with some black spray paint and bolted it in for a test fit. The bolt hole alignment was perfect.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
12,493 Posts
To provide a stable weld, you should have V grooved both sides and stitch welded for max penetration and distortion, a second weld can then be layed over the stitches (seam weld)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

The engine is out. The homemade spreader bar worked perfectly.

Household hardware Gas Metal Composite material Close-up

The extra links in the chain made it adjustable.

Household hardware Automotive tire Nickel Gas Bicycle part

The bolt is only used as a pin to hold the chain in place.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas Automotive fuel system

The temporary transmission crossmember is also working perfectly.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

It took a miracle to attach the engine stand head plate.

Office supplies Font Wood Writing implement Rectangle

Because it was a miracle my local hardware store had four M12 x 1.25 x 120 mm bolts in stock.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

It took a week for me to pull the engine. But at my age four hours is a full day and sometimes I only work half-days. Nobody got hurt, nothing got broken and I enjoyed every day of the process.

61 - 80 of 112 Posts