Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brown Rectangle Amber Tin Wood

Do you know how much the V6 engine weighs? I have to pull mine to replace the lower crankcase O-ring. I have been unable to borrow or rent an engine stand. It looks like I will have to buy one. Harbor Freight sells two sizes. Can I get by with the 1/2 ton or do I need the 1 ton? They also sell a load leveler for the engine hoist. Is that worth having?

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Load leveller is sooooo handy, get it.

You could probably get by with the 1/2 ton, but I'd personally have the extra headroom and get the 1 tonner

·
Registered
654 Posts
I own the 1/2 ton version, and it has no trouble lifting the V6 engine. HOWEVER: the lifting arm is too short to reach far enough into the engine bay. I had to do some custom modifications to make it work. If I had it to do over I'd get the larger one.

·
Super Moderator
19,539 Posts
An engine leveler is not required.

But lift HEIGHT ability is key as well! ;)
That may mean an extendable lift arm and leg supports of the higher tonnage lift to facilitate the pick.

This may help you out...

Use of a chain attached to the engine's OE lift eyes works great, and renders the perfect removal angle! ;)
Tire Wheel Vehicle registration plate Car Vehicle

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the lifting arm is too short to reach far enough into the engine bay
Thanks, that's good to know. I already have the 2-ton Harbor Freight shop crane with the boom that extends from 41 in. to 61-3/4 in. What I don't have is an engine stand.
Product Font Bicycle part Machine Parallel

I'm looking at this one since there are none available at Harbor Freight.

Font Measuring instrument Rectangle Clock Fashion accessory

Also, where would I connect a load leveler to the V6? The engine lifting brackets seem like they are in the wrong place for this.

·
Super Moderator
19,539 Posts
You had us thinking engine HOIST. :p

Engine weight is 350 lbs (ish).

And that Harbor Fright leveler? Appears cheaply made. :(

·
Registered
654 Posts
Ah, yes I misread the original post. I thought you needed the crane/cherry picker.
I've pulled/replaced a couple J20a's and H25's and haven't had need of a leveler yet. Nice to have, sure. But not necessary. To use the HF one you showed, I would just get a couple lengths of chain and run from the shackle, down around the lifting points, then back up to the shackle. At least, that's what I did with my DIY lifting bracket (see Bazuki thread).

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Vehicle Motor vehicle Blue Automotive air manifold Automotive design

I could build something like you did. In the Bazuki thread there was some discussion about the strength of 1" square tubing. Should I go bigger?

·
Super Moderator
19,539 Posts
You've already read my thoughts on that subject in general, I believe. ;)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Table Wood Desk Workbench Tool

I built my lift bar today. It seems well balanced.

Automotive tire Automotive design Bicycle part Rim Bumper

Assuming 1" square tubing was the minimum I opted for this 1" x 2" rectangular tubing.
It may be a little more than required but it didn't cost much more -- and I'll sleep better.

·
Super Moderator
19,539 Posts
Well done! :)

If not already the plan, do use washers under the head and nuts of chain hardware if bolting to the engine.
Building Window Wood Wood stain Flooring

Or are you planning on using the current engine lift eyes? That will be a tricky attachment point without hook style chain ends.

Did you weld closed the eye openings? Smart. ;)
Water Drinkware Stemware Barware Liquid

Reactions: L84sky

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That will be a tricky attachment point without hook style chain ends.
Automotive tire Wood Gas Rim Motor vehicle

By good fortune the chain I had on hand fits through the slot on the engine's lift bracket. A bolt secures the chain to the bracket.

Did you weld closed the eye openings?
Hand tool Wood Tool Natural material Metalworking hand tool

Yes I did.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have you pulled it?
I wish.
Wood Floor Flooring Hardwood Gas

My mechanic friend says it's a three-hour job. I am not a mechanic. I expect it to be a three-day job.
The engine stand arrived yesterday. The shop crane is still in the box. My goal for today is assemble
both of them.

·
Super Moderator
19,539 Posts
Oh! I got excited when I saw your chain in lifting eye pic. Thought you were about to snatch her. :ROFLMAO: You'll get it. Enjoy the adventure.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Remember, nut B onto bolt A, then at the end of it all you will have one critical bit left over.....

I love assembly of stuff like that. ....

At times....

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
then at the end of it all you will have one critical bit left over.....
Thankfully the hoist and the engine stand went together without any missing pieces or parts left over.
Motor vehicle Font Gas Tints and shades Symbol

A "dry fit" of the hoist and lift bar showed I have good reach, alignment and clearance. I also proved I have enough floor space to roll the hoist out from under the car. The next step is to see if I can break the bolts loose that hold the crossover pipe to the bottom of the catalytic converters.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bad news. I sprayed the three nuts on the bottom of the catalytic converter with PB Blaster and they are not budging. I'm afraid if I apply more torque I will round off the nuts or break off the studs. I am currently shopping for a magnetic induction bolt buster. Seeking advice from those of you who have pulled an H25. How did you remove these nuts?

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Bust them off and repair once its out? Easy to drill and re rap once the engines out and you can get to things

1 - 20 of 112 Posts