1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me know if this is a good idea

1993 2wd geo tracker
+
$300 wrecked jeep cherokee (drivetrain is still good)
=
Geo tracker w/ 4.0 straight six....

That'd be a nice little hot rod, and would still maintain utility (for me at least) more so than a v8 swap. That and wrecked Cherokees are cheaper than dirt, and diets pretty cheap.

I can do all the work myself except that which calls for a machine shop (shortening the rear axle to fit, etc).

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Better take some measurements on the engine bay and 6 cyl engine first, or maybe you plan on reworking the firewall, dash and trans tunnel.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Ive entertained the idea of using the jeep 4.0 to make a track car. You will find it nearly a foot too long if memory serves right.

The drive train with a 3.4 or 2.7 yota motor connected to that aw4 trans would make a lot more sense.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Given enough time and money you can do ALMOST anything. Will it always make sense.... no.

The 4.0 Jeep motor has tons of torque but is longer and taller than the Suzuki engine... considerably. You'd have to find a way around this. There is a thread with a guy in Oregon installing a Ford small block. He doesn't have room for the radiator. (I'm watching to see his solution.) The Jeep motor is even longer than his motor.

Bottom line, there are much better candidates as engine donors for your time and money.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm... Didn't know it was that much larger

I also entertained the idea of a ford 2300 from a wrecked ranger

Had a 89 ranger ran pretty good and dead reliable

Saw a tv show on the speed channel a while back, guy was building 2300s for dirt track cars and getting 200+ HP and torque on a NA engine. So 150 isn't out of the question for a mechanically inclined individual.

Or a turbo charged 2300 from a mustang

I've got a bit to chew on.

I'm not so much worried about height, mostly length.

As for the fella with a small block, setting the engine back would be considerably time consuming. However, one could remove the fenders, bumper, etc and open the front end. Make some brackets to come out the front and hold the radiator, and fabricate around it. Get some junkyard fenders and cut/splice a set or two to lengthen them, and build around it.

But I don't know much, just some pipe dreams lol

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Dreams are fine. Making them reality is the trick.

But... Some dreams are better left at dreams. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts