Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
The Samurai FSM lists recommended oils on page 1-8. For myself, I can see no reason for deviating from the manufacturer's recommendations, although I am transitioning to synthetic as I use up my supply of petroleum-based oils. I'm not fully comfortable with the extended oil-change intervals that many modern cars call for. No oil filter catches everything and an oil change drains out what the oil filter missed. I carry a quart of a lighter-weight synthetic, even here in a near-desert, should I need to top-up between changes. I once read that the light-weight fractions of the oil burn away first, so that's what I need to replace when the level gets low. The 15W-40 "diesel" oils are very attractive to me. They operate over a wide temperature range and have a very complete additive package (needed for diesel operation).

You can download the FSM from suzukiinfo.com. I like the (unlisted?) one at: http://www.suzukiinfo.com/sierra/zukboysfsm.zip
You might also check out "geckocycles" site: New FSM download site - Zukikrawlers

·
Registered
139 Posts
why use synthetic? i use 5w 30 with almost 50% lucus oil. but really i have no idea what im doing.
Without getting into a debate here is a good article the defines some of the advntages / disadvantages.

OIL

One thing I have noticed is that it seems that petroleum based oil is slowly being phased away as well. Is this due to the cost of crude? Is it because we are more eco-friendly? Could it be that the oil producers & the manufacturers are driving the costs? Maybe its all of them I'm not sure.

But the true answer to to the original post should be to utilize oil within the weight range for his / her climate based on the FSM.

My choice for synthetic is strictly a choice, and from reading a ton of post evolving around oil types and manufacturers the subject can get extremely HEATED..... pun intended! :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
I used 5w30 and my 1.3L drank that stuff like water. I use my Samurai for highway driving, it cruises 65-70mph, and its close to redline all the time for long periods. 10w40 works for my sloppy engine.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies . I know it is a fairly simple Question If you look in the FSM, Witch i have. but that was not the purpose of the Question. I wanted some feedback from others on here on what they use and why. Don't want a heated debate just ya'lls open minded ideas on the subject. Tuxblacray; thanks for your input. Great artical and backed by tests great! thats the kind of thing I was looking for from the Question. Don't have much time to search for articals like that. Work to many hours. also thanks to the rest who posted.

Hoarder: When you say redline are you talkin close to oveheatin or something else. mine runs high too, is the 10w40 making it run cooler.

·
Registered
212 Posts
My 87 is old but runs good. It may be a bit loose but most 24 yearolds are.
I use 20w50 all year round. When it is really working off road it warms up enough to use the extra protection. It gets changed every 6 months whether it needs it or not. It gets a little coloured by that time. New fram filter every time. It has never let me down yet. Always carry a jug of it with me.
I change the oil in the tranny & T/C & Diffs every year too.
Oil is cheap compared to any of the replacement parts they protect.
Always legally dispose of your old oil at the same place you purchased it from.
They like it best in their own labeled jug.

·
Registered
33 Posts
10w-30 dino in the winter, 10w-40 dino in the summer I agree with Merlin on 15w-40 diesel oil, good stuff for severe duty. I think Hoarder meant high engine rpm "redline" Oh, I'm in southeast Texas. Just remember, all of us are just giving you our opinions on oil preferences. Suzuki spent lots of $$ on research and development and their recommendation is probably the best one to follow, at least until you for your own opinions!

·
Registered
105 Posts
i use 15w 40 premuim mineral oil made by penrite my engine has only got about 3000km on it since rebuild and the oil im useing was recomended to me by the bloke that rebuilt my engine i trust his recomendation as he's rebuilt motors for the past 40 years

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I 've used 10w-40 in mine for the 17 years and 160K miles that I've driven it. I never have to add oil between changes and I don't overheat. (southern california)

TUX hit a good point when he mentioned that you should choose your oil for the climate you live in. If I lived at high altitude and freezing weather I'd want an oil with a lower cold temp viscosity so that it flows when the engine is still cold. If I lived in a hot climate that never saw cold weather I'd want an oil with a much higher low temp viscosity so that it didn't just run off the components when the engine was at lower operating temperatures.

If you live in a hot year-round climate, then there is no need for low viscosity oil, especially on an older motor with a lot of play in the seals and components, but I still run a multi weight since it does get very mildly cold where I live on winter mornings, never drops below 40F though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts