Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, My 04 Hatchback is in the shop for a Head Gasket fix at 120,000kms (75,000 miles). Almost 2G to fix.

Picked up another optra sedan with 84,000kms. Real nice, for 500 bucks ( I rely on a car for work to make money so I needed something). It however has a engine noise. I thought at first it was a water pump bearing, but it turns out the head, timing belt, water pump are all new. I am told that when the serp. belt is off and car started the car runs noise free. Also told that its a lower end noise and not worth fixing. I have also noticed that the Oil light if the engine is pushed will flicker on and off. When the car is driving the noise is less, you almost forget while driving the highway, but at idle the noise is there.

I found this video on youtube with the exact same noise. Rod Bearing as other have pointed out on this video? expensive to fix?
If it was a rod bearing wouldn't it make noise with the car started with or without the serp. belt.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
hi Patch101 welcome to the forum!! ok im not a mechanic but have some experience with these cars. i drive an 05 reno and love it :) so lets brake down the problem, one, engine noise. two, oil light. and three, stupid people lololol ok lets start with number three. a bottom end problem and not worth fixing???? sure if you dont mind ruining the motor! great advice, thanks!! sorry if this advice came from someone you know or love :) now to the real issue. heres what i think is going on but your going to have to have this looked at by a mechanic. after a while the timing idler pulleys on the car start to make a horrible noise that makes you think you have a bad motor. when changing the timing belt people dont always change these pulleys because technically you dont have to. so i think its your idler pulleys happily rattling away behind the cover on the passenger side. really the only fix is to either leave it or get in there and see if thats the problem then change the pulleys. either way have it looked at. now the oil light issue. im not suggesting your not a smart person but, have you checked your oil? one possibility could simply be low oil. another possibility could be you have a bad pressure sensor. maybe a oil leak at the pump? the oil pump gaskets like to go on these cars. unfortunately a leak can be hard to see unless you get to the pump. what you can do is start by checking the oil, also grab a flashlight and inspect around the bottom of the motor on the passenger side for oil. if you want to make sure your pump is working what you can do is, BE CAREFUL, while the car is on unscrew the oil cap lift it up just a little if a little oil splashes out of the oil fill at least you know the pump is working. you dont need to take the cap all the way off because then it will probably make a mess :) thats all i can think of. let us know what you find out. any other questions just ask

·
Registered
149 Posts
The problem in the video turned out to be the power steering pump failing, so you could check that first.

Lower a piece of rubber hose close to it and listen through the other end. Use common sense and be VERY careful around moving belts and pulleys!

Not the pump? Remove the timing belt cover and inspect it for damage caused by rubbing of moving parts (belts, pulleys, bearings).

As 7-even stated, check the idler pulley bearings for roughness. At my last timing belt change, one of them was a pretty rough. Also check the belts for fraying.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts