Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, today my car is making a loud rattling noise? it's most evident in low revs. I first thought it was low on oil (as the sound was similar to that?), but this was not the case after checking oil level. It drives well, through out gear range, but the nise at low revs is very concerning. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Check your exhaust system. If it has anything loose or is making contact anywhere, it can make noises that sound like the Sami is trying to destroy itself.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for repley. Checked exhaust and fittings, all good. The engine sounds like marbles rattling around in a can or when you vacuum up some metal objects in the hoover???

The car drives well and no loss in power? just heavy rattling in low gear/low revs???

Do you think it could be something as simple as fuel quality or changing spark plugs and oil/filter change?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Usually detonation is not that loud. Check your timing to ensure it is not advanced from the correct setting. You can try running premium gasoline to see if the noise goes away or is reduced, which would indicate detonation. Detonation can be caused by advance timing or excess carbon deposits in the combustion chamber.

Keep in mind that the exhaust may not contact anything at rest, but may contact something when the drive-train is putting out a lot of torque. Mine contacts the bumper under hard acceleration in first.

Another thing to check is your motor, transmission mounts, and transfer case mounts. If they have deteriorated, they may be letting the attached unit move too much, make metal to metal contact, or cause the exhaust to make metal to metal contact.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Noise from engine resolved!!

Hi Wayne, thanks for your input.

I had a look again and found a lower bolt missing on the mounting bracket for the alternator?? missing...I removed the belt, fired up the engine and the sound was gone!!!!:) who would of thought, an ALTERNATOR:eek: would make such a loud and concerning sound...still, very gratefull, that's all it was....ben2010

·
Registered
328 Posts
Yuppers. Anything that can move can move in a way it was not meant to can cause some loud noises.

As for seemingly unrelated stuff, I spent a year putzing with my carb trying to get it to idle, and finally put a new one in. Turned out it was a loose ECM ground. Now I need to put the old carb in because it ran better with that carb, except for the idle!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts