Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got a engine that ive just had rebuilt ported and polshed the head, bored out the cylinders 20 thow and all racing internals and it has only done 4500km ok so i was driving to work and i thought i could hear a slight ticking tapping noise when i got to work popped the hood and from what i could hear it was coming from the top of the engine all the way along the noise is not very loud but its worrieing when the engine has only done 4500km. what im thinking is that its got something to do with the head.

·
Registered
73 Posts
With 45km on the engine the parts are starting to settle in. Your valve lash needs some attention. Remove the valve cover and spark-plugs and reset the valves. Check the torque on the head while your in there. Put the cover back on and reconnect the plug wires and you will be good to go.

GIZMO

·
Super Moderator
12,459 Posts
If you haven't retorqued the head bolts yet, that's the first thing I would do (should have been done at 1000 miles (approx 1600kms) and then follow that up with valve lash adjustment.

This is pretty much the same as GIZMO is saying, except in the reverse sequence - the retorquing of the head is quite important, and if you do it after adjusting the valves and there is any appreciable movement on the bolts, the valve lash will be about and you'll need to do it again.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
:confused:Why would retorquing the head change the valve lash? It is overhead cam engine right no push rods. I agree the head needs to be retorqued and the valves lashed but one has no bearing on the other. Not an expert hear but just wondering if I missed something.

·
Super Moderator
12,459 Posts
:confused:Why would retorquing the head change the valve lash? It is overhead cam engine right no push rods.
Valid point - ask yourself this though - what happens when the head is retorqued?

If there is any appreciable movement, what's the chance of your having the same amount of movement on all of the head bolts - does the head remain flat, does the position of the cam change any?

One thing we do know - in 4500km, on the original poster's engine, there has been enough settling to cause some degree of what sounds like "valve clatter", so there has been some degree of settling somewhere.

Last one of these I did - we retorqued at 1000 miles, no movement noticeable, rechecked the valve lash, and changed the oil & filter - I'd estimate we've put another 12,000 miles on since then - no valve noise .

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Fair enough, I didn't really consider that the aluminum head might flex a little repositioning the cam a little when you are working in thousands of an inch a little dab will do ya.:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts