Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BACKSTORY:

I've been going through some obnoxious car troubles lately and it's beginning to drive me insane. I own a 2005 Suzuki Forenza and for awhile, my engine light has been turning on and off. So when I got my vehicle registration notice, I took my car into a Suzuki dealer in order to fix the problem.

They supposedly did, costing me about $250. But on the way home, it turned on again. After a new appointment, they said I needed a whole new computer which would cost $1400. My car is not in the best of shape anyway and I don't have $1400, so I chose to take it to another mechanic. He said he doubted that was an issue and suspected they removed some sensor during the first repair and forgot to plug it back in, so lied in order to save face. This sort of made sense as since I had gotten the car back, the engine light hadn't been on.

He told me that I needed to complete the drive cycle though and it seemed to be going fine, except then it came on again 2 days later for a rest of the day. When I took it to the mechanic on the next day, the engine light was off. He read the scan and said the temperature had read 60 degrees, which is odd because usually when there is something wrong with the sensor it reads a negative number. But while it was in the shop, the engine light wasn't on and the temperature was giving normal numbers. So he reset the codes and I went about my drive cycle. The mechanic said he would do some research into the sensor and get back to me.

Thinking I had completed it, I tried to go through emissions since the light hadn't been on, but they couldn't pass me because there needed to be more miles in the cars memory. Annoyed, I took it out for another hour and accumulated over 100 miles since the reset. It was too late to get it tested, so I went home and guess what? Just as I was pulling in, the engine light pops on!

THE QUESTION:

If I turn on my car tomorrow and there is no engine light and I attempt an emissions test, will I pass or will they ding me for it now being stored within the cars memory? I live in Arizona, so know that if the engine light is on, it's an automatic fail. But now I am freaking out because this ENTIRE travesty involving Suzuki has devoured the entire Month and I am going to be late simply because no one seems to know wtf is going on.

I don't trust the Suzuki dealership anymore because even if I do need a whole new computer, how did they not notice that during the first go? My individual mechanic has always solved problems for me before, but even he's not entirely sure what is wrong with the computer. I have absolutely no clue what to do because even if I gave into Suzuki's claim, I don't have that kind of cash. So does engine lights appearing in the cars history effect the test, even if it's not currently on?

Thanks for reading...

Edit: Also, to clarify, the car runs fine and none of the mechanics who have seen it have found any issues beyond what I mentioned above.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
ok first off, no i dont think your car will pass inspection. i believe when the light turned off a new drive cycle started so it will come up sensors not at the ready. they all need to be at the ready in order for the inspection to happen. my guess is that at the end of the cycle is when the light is coming on. when the light comes on is it steady or does it blink? the first time you went to Suzuki what did they tell you the problem was? most importantly we need to know what code the car is showing. not that its for low water temp or whatever but what the code actually is. also what are you doing when the light comes on? anything specific, stepping on the gas, sitting at a light, in park idling. let us know

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll list everything they said

Here is the one they fixed: Code P0342 Camshaft Position Sensor

Here is the one where they said the computer needed to be replaced: Code P0113 Intake Air Sensor Check Circuits For IAT from ECM to IAT M-64 M-7.
Found Not Reading from ECM to IAT Vehicle Needs ECM.

It's steady. It never blinks. I'm never doing anything specific when it pops on. Sometimes I'm turning, sometimes slowing down, sometimes I'm parked and other times it's just on when I turn the car on.

Hope that's enough information.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles...

P0342.. Many ppl have had that code before including myself... More often than not it has in fact been a faulty Camshaft Position Sensor. I was getting that code intermittently so I replaced mine and that cleared it up. Perhaps the dealer did this?

As for the P0113 I would suggest you at least read this to have an idea of what it refers to:

OBD-II Trouble Code: P0113 Intake Air Temperature Circuit High Input

If its intermittent you could have a failing IAT sensor, damaged wiring or connectors, or possibly a bad ECU as they mentioned. The ECU is usually the least likely as they don't often just fail in this manner. In any event, you can even get USED ECU's for MUCH MUCH less than $1400 - I went to my local scrap yard and picked one up for $100. This issue will take a bit of troubleshooting to determine whether its the sensor, wiring or ECU at fault.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there any website that sells good used parts like that outside of amazon, ebay, etc that you know of? I'm a little wary of buying used parts, since i generally presume they're used for a reason, but $100 sounds a lot better than $1400. Thanks

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts