Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I want to swap my engine of Vitara 92 3 door G16a 8v. I am able to get G13bb and G15a very cheap, whereas G16b 16v is rare at my place and very expensive.
Can anyone confirm compatibility / fitting of Suzuki G13bb and G15a engines with stock bell housing (M/T)? What minor modifications will be required?

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have an answer but you will have to give us first a convincing expalnation of WHY you want to swap motors.

·
Administrator
16,665 Posts
As far as I'm aware, the G15 & G16 engines share a common bell housing bolt pattern, The G13 however is different

Reactions: taimur91

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have an answer but you will have to give us first a convincing expalnation of WHY you want to swap motors.
Dont know if its convincing enough but ...
My carb has bad choke and vaccum lines. So I thought, why dont I go for engine swap to get an efi motor. Also I need to replace bearings, belts and plugs as they are due.
Carb migration costs around $150, G13bb complete setup less gear cost around $470 while G15 setup less gear costs around $580 at my place.
G13bb is readily available. G15 requires a bit of searching and is costlier. G16b 16v is comparatively expensive here and hard to find.
When I say complete engine, it includes all; uncut sensor wiring, ecm, aux assemblies, head & block etc

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If G13bb would have been bolt on or adjustable through minor modification, I could have sourced complete conversion for about $300 with a little more effort.
G13bb 16v efi having 80hp and 105 Nm torque could be a alternate swap for G16a 8v carb having 80hp and 127 Nm torque.

·
Registered
507 Posts
well, regarding compatibility, you got an answer.... trouble is that block and bell hosuing is just one thing, those engines come form transversaly mounted cars, so also exhaust, and especially inlet manifolds are all the worng shape for an inline mounted motor. so even if you could adapt the engine, youd have to transplant the inlet EFI manfifolds from an EFI vitara, maybe also th especific throttle body to the G15... add to that all the wiring, ECU, fuel pump, etc. doesnt make sense to me, but hey, its a free world, do what you want :)
i changed all the vaccum lines in my carbed vitara, rebuilt the carb, total expense 50$ or so... i made a good guide in the FAQ for the vaccum lines routing
here in italy people transform G series engines to injection with a complete magnetti marelli system form old fiats, way easier than with the efi from a suzy

·
Registered
10,410 Posts
here in italy people transform G series engines to injection with a complete magnetti marelli system form old fiats, way easier than with the efi from a suzy
Thats probably the only bit of the Fiat that doesn't rust and melt in the rain. :p

Reactions: Bex

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, regarding compatibility, you got an answer.... trouble is that block and bell hosuing is just one thing, those engines come form transversaly mounted cars, so also exhaust, and especially inlet manifolds are all the worng shape for an inline mounted motor. so even if you could adapt the engine, youd have to transplant the inlet EFI manfifolds from an EFI vitara, maybe also th especific throttle body to the G15... add to that all the wiring, ECU, fuel pump, etc. doesnt make sense to me, but hey, its a free world, do what you want :)
i changed all the vaccum lines in my carbed vitara, rebuilt the carb, total expense 50$ or so... i made a good guide in the FAQ for the vaccum lines routing
The magnetti marelli system seems interesting. Can you plz guide on parts requirement, availability & installation?

·
Registered
507 Posts
it was made wit most parts form a fiat punto 1.2 1995
I have NOT doen it myself, lik emy original carburator, but list of parts you need is in there
only in italian, so google translate is your friend.the project was done on a samurai, but many had done the same using this guide on vitaras

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts