Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all! I'm new here. I bought a Forenza wagon a couple of days ago and so far I'm happy with my decision. I'm a mechanical engineer by day and a car repair hobbyist by night. . . . so naturally I am interested in the technical aspects of the car.

The 2.0 litre engine is made in Australia, so I assume it is made by Holden. How long has it been in production? Is it durable? What kind of typical problems might I encounter with it.

My car has the automatic transmission. Anybody know anything about it? Is it a proven design? Is it used on other Korean vehickes as well?

The only flimsy/cheap feeling part of the car seems to be the windshield wiper control stalk. I plan to be careful with it. Has it been problematic, or is it durable enough?

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Originally posted by Rev320@Mar 2 2005, 09:00 AM
Hello to all! I'm new here. I bought a Forenza wagon a couple of days ago and so far I'm happy with my decision. I'm a mechanical engineer by day and a car repair hobbyist by night. . . . so naturally I am interested in the technical aspects of the car.

The 2.0 litre engine is made in Australia, so I assume it is made by Holden. How long has it been in production? Is it durable? What kind of typical problems might I encounter with it.

My car has the automatic transmission. Anybody know anything about it? Is it a proven design? Is it used on other Korean vehickes as well?

The only flimsy/cheap feeling part of the car seems to be the windshield wiper control stalk. I plan to be careful with it. Has it been problematic, or is it durable enough?
From what i remember the engines been around for awhile (maybe 20 years.. i cant remember) and is very reliable... for more information on it though go over to http://www.daewootech.com/forum/index.php
they know alot more about the engine and its history.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Originally posted by Rev320@Mar 2 2005, 01:00 PM

Welcome to the community. I own a 2004 Forenza LX. It is automatic and I have over 15,000 miles on the odometer. I honestly can say I have no problem with the tranny, and boy I do abuse it a bit. As for the wiper control stalk, it maybe flimsy but I have not had a problem with it. I have own several Suzuki's and they seem to last a long time. Hope you enjoy the wagon.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Originally posted by trekmo1@Mar 2 2005, 06:41 PM
Welcome to the community. I own a 2004 Forenza LX. It is automatic and I have over 15,000 miles on the odometer. I honestly can say I have no problem with the tranny, and boy I do abuse it a bit. As for the wiper control stalk, it maybe flimsy but I have not had a problem with it. I have own several Suzuki's and they seem to last a long time. Hope you enjoy the wagon.
:thumbsup:
wow you already put 15k miles on?
How long have you had it?

I bougth my with 15k on it and now i have 28k on it. No problems, i had to replace the clutch but thats cuz like 4 people learned manual on my car and whoever had it before me ran it hard.

I also had problems with the clutch hudralic master cyclinder but it was replaced under warranty. Which was very nice.. they helped me out and found other little things broked that are under warranty and replaced them.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Originally posted by Rev320@Mar 2 2005, 12:00 PM
I got the Canadian version sold as a Chevrolet Optra, also likes it very much, but it seems that City gas mileage isn't so great after all. But that might be just the fact that it's Winter time that the engine isn't fully "broken" (Is that the term to use for the firsts hundred miles of a car?).

The hard part is to find accessories for the car, I managed to find Load Bars compatible with the factory rack, but they were not listed anywhere. I had to go by trial and error.

I'm still looking for a trailer hitch kit, but it might be "custom made" only since it is also not listed anywhere.

[The 2.0 litre engine is made in Australia, so I assume it is made by Holden. How long has it been in production? Is it durable? What kind of typical problems might I encounter with it.
Other than having quite an appetite for gas, this engine seems to have a good reputation. You'll read a few times that the timing belt is their achille's heal, and that early checks/replacements might saves you $$$.

The transmission is a ZF 4HP16 (German design, but korean made?), used in Daewoo/GM-DAT cars and European Cars.
Audi, Renault, Citroen and even Mercedes use models from the same manufacturer.

Listing from the Manufacturer:
http://www.zf-group.com/pdf/AppChartpasscartrans.pdf

Info about the controller:
http://www.dwt.co.kr/english/en_pro01_11.htm

Important thing to know is that the Forenza/Optra trans does not uses ordinary DEXRON III Fluid, check your owner manual, but mines says to use ESSO LT 71141 and specifies that there is no service required for the fluid.

·
Registered
32 Posts
To be exact I have 15,674 miles on it. I bought the car in June of 2004. Honestly can say I'm happy with the car. It gets a little loose (feels like a boat) at about 95mph, nothing a pair of lowering springs and sway bars wouldn't cure. Oooh and strut braces. Should have gotten a manual. Oh well. I still enjoy the car. Can't wait till the ecu's and upgraded tranny controller come out .
:grin:

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
at 95? damn .. well the car did feel kinda wabbly.. i never went on the freeway before i replaced my wheels b/c my tires were in terrible shape so i was afraid too :D so i just bought a whole new set of wheels/tires (17s) and then i got the lowering springs and ive gotten it up past 130mph without anyproblems. I also had alot of extra weight in the car for extra stabiblity (how the hell do you spell that word?!) This next coming weekend i hope to find a good enough stretch of safe highway to break past 140mph but who knows

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well if you do be safe about it. Your car will be faster due to the fact that is a manual. The auto tranny also limits the speed. So from what your saying I'll have to invest in the suspension parts to rid my problems. As for the rims I'll invest in some new ones later. Maybe some Konigs. :grin:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts