Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I have a Sidekick purchased 1993 in Toronto, Canada. I am trying to import the vehicle into Greece. Part of the documentation requirement is an emissions certificate. Suzuki in Athens say they cannot supply this. Does anyone have any idea where one might be obtained?

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts
I believe that after you get your car through customs in Greece you have to bring it to a vehicle testing center for testing, which is where you would get your emissions cert. Presumably you are not coming from an EU country, no, but permanently (vs temporarily) bringing your car into Greece. Some info here, from the US embassy. Halfway down the page shows certs needed and how to get them:
Information on importing a car into Greece - Life

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bex. Actually the vehicle was first imported from Canada to UK. Then I brought it to Greece. Now I want to legalize it.
Your link was very interesting though, but seems to differ from what I have been told. The trouble with officialdom in Greece is that there is never a consistent way of doing things! I have been told that the certificate should be obtained from the manufacturer, but when test centres have the equipment, it does make sense to get it tested there. Perhaps I need to speak to a different official!

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Having searched information online, it would seem that I may have been given the wrong information. As Bex suggested, an emissions certificate would be obtained at the testing centre.
What I will also require is a Conformity certificate. I imagine this would be available from the manufacturer and I will contact Suzuki, Canada as a first step.

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts
I am learning about this with you (sadly). It appears that you must get the Certificate of Conformity from the manufacturer, as indicated by this UK site (at the bottom of the page). There is a link there that may be helpful to you, as it appears they will provide manufacturer contact details if you email them.
Services provided by other Agencies within DfT

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I wonder if a little bribe to the right person would smooth the process a bit. ;)

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
I wonder if a little bribe to the right person would smooth the process a bit. ;)
I wouldn't mess with the VCA.

I wouldn't have thought that there would be much of an issue if it was previously registered in the UK.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just to update those that replied to my request, the news is not good regarding a Certificate of Conformity. Suzuki UK say that the vehicle must have been built for the European market (which it wasn't). Also the C of C became law in 1998, so not possible for vehicles registered before this date.
Suzuki Canada say they cannot help because specifications for every country varies, so they can only help if a vehicle is being exported to USA.

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts
OK, a bit of studying. Apparently there is no such thing as a Certificate of Conformity for any car manufactured earlier than 1996.
Certificate of Conformity - COC - Suzuki
Classic cars and the Certificate of Conformity - SURVIVE FRANCE NETWORK
(the above post is for France, but EU regulations prevail).
I found this regarding registering in Greece - but sadly no one answered about what was needed for an older car:
Registering U K Vehicle On Greek Plates, Greek Life, Travel To Greece Forum | Forums

The point is that a Certificate of Conformity is unavailable for any car older than 1996, regardless of venue, manufacture, country, etc. So I think you need to research how to import an 'older' car into Greece. Certainly there are people who import 'classic cars' etc into Greece, who do not provide such a document.

There is some info here, as well as a phone number to call:
The Greece Property Buying Guide: Importing a car into Greece: Part 4

And see this, particularly article 3.5.2.C:
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:C:2007:068:0015:0024:en:pDF

I might recommend asking them that, since no Certificate of Conformity exists for any car older than 1996, how do you go about importing an old car into Greece.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the links Bex. Having worked my way through the information, it is clear that I cannot obtain a certificate of conformity due to the age and country of manufacture of my vehicle.
It would appear that a certificate of compliance can only be obtained from a test centre after importation. To import the vehicle would cost about double its' value, i.e. 3000 euros. From what I can make out, it is imported assuming it has no catalytic converter. The test would reveal that it does have one and the importation would then be void, losing any money paid.
This is what I understand from a Greek friend who has helped me, but sometimes things are not clear in the translation.
As things stand, it does not appear to be in my interests to proceed any further and I will continue to use the vehicle illegally, albeit only on local roads.

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts
Yes, from what I understand from the above links, there is no such thing as a Certificate of Conformity for any car older than a 1996. I don't know where you go from there, other than doing what you are doing. EU regulations can be a PIA, particularly when you have officials that can't think for themselves. I moved to Ireland from New York, with my Geo Tracker in 1997. When EU regulations came in here in 2000, I received a 'fail advisory' on my car inspection test, as my indicators where not amber (as required by EU law), and my parking lights and front indicators are in one housing. EU law requires that it is 2 separate mechanisms. I went through months of corresponding with the government department in charge of this, stating that my car was a Geo Tracker, made by Chevrolet in the US. (OK, yes, I understand that my car is actually a Suzuki Sidekick/Vitara, and that I could spend quite a bit of money to replace my rear lenses so that they would conform, as well as the front parking/indicator lights. My difficulty with this is that this does not make my car more 'roadworthy', at all and is just bureaucracy for the sake of bureaucracy, and nothing more). I told them that my car manufacturer did not make such items, and that in order to comply, I would have to actually have something individually fabricated in order to conform to this regulation. I suggested perhaps something made of wood, as it was easier for me to carve wood than attempt to mold metal to their specifications. It was ridiculous.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.